Re: Dragon Pass

From: Goihl & Fahey <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:35:56 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C335E9.FBBB15E0 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

>>at the walls.  In the melee rules, (e.g., 7.10.6.2) does the defending
>>player only get to attack back with the top three surviving units that
>>were in the top three at the beginning of the battle or can the =
defender
>>use the top three surviving units after casualties are deducted, even = if
>>these units were not originally able to fight?

After the magic and missile phases, the top three major units (and any = participating non-major units) on the attacking side attack in melee. = After casualties are removed the defender counterattacks with his top = three remaining major units, with the CFs of those three (and any = participating non-major units) doubled. So any battle is a risk. If you = kill all the defenders you lose nothing, but if not then the remaining = defenders are doubled and may well kill all of yours. Remember that only three major units fit inside a fortress. Any more = than that in a hex are considered to be outside the gates and thus = receive the defensive bonus of the terrain of the hex and not the = fortress bonus.
Also, there's all that about forces inside a fortress not having to = attack, which means they can sit inside during their player's turn and = not risk defensive doubling from the besieger. So all this means, don't attack fortresses. Any hits you make against = guys in forts have to overcome their top unit's CF times three to = produce any casualties at all. There's bound to be someone left to hit = you back with defensive doubling.

> My understanding has always been that when the defender is attacking > in his turn, he attacks with all of his units.

The top three, yes, but if he's in a fortress he doesn't have to.

>My understanding is that in any battle, only the front rank in any >hex (three full units) are able to fight in melee.

Right. Altho I have played it as both rolling and removing = simultaneously, just for variance of play. The normal way better = simulates reality, in which one side usually loses alot and the other = only a few. That's what the defensive doubling is there for, to make the = results more extreme.
In the email Nomad Gods games I've done it simultaneous, with no = defensive doubling, as everyone is moving and fighting at the same time, = there being no inactive player.

>As to fortresses, only the three units to the bottom of the
>fortress receive the defensive bonus or the choice whether
>or not to attack neighbouring hexes, and that any herd
>would always be outside of the fortress, as well as any
>unit atop it, regardless how far to the bottom it is located.

Right.

Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C335E9.FBBB15E0 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&gt;at the walls.&nbsp; In the melee rules, (e.g., 7.10.6.2) =
does the=20
defending<BR>&gt;&gt;player only get to attack back with the top three = surviving=20
units that<BR>&gt;&gt;were in the top three at the beginning of the = battle or=20
can the defender<BR>&gt;&gt;use the top three surviving units after = casualties=20
are deducted, even if<BR>&gt;&gt;these units were not originally able to =

fight?</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After the magic and =
missile&nbsp;phases, the top=20
three major units (and any participating non-major units) on the = attacking side=20
attack in melee. After casualties are&nbsp;removed&nbsp;the defender=20 counterattacks with his top three remaining major units, with the CFs of = those=20
three (and any participating non-major units) doubled. So any battle is = a risk.=20
If you&nbsp;kill all the defenders you lose nothing, but if not then the =

remaining defenders are doubled and may well kill all of = yours.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Remember that only three major units =
fit inside a=20
fortress. Any more than that in a hex are considered to be outside the = gates and=20
thus receive the defensive bonus of the terrain of the hex and not the = fortress=20
bonus.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also, there's all that about forces =
inside a=20
fortress not having to attack, which means they can sit inside during = their=20
player's turn and not risk defensive doubling from the = besieger.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So all this means, don't attack =
fortresses. Any=20
hits you make against guys in forts have to overcome their top unit's CF = times=20
three to produce any casualties at all.&nbsp;There's bound to be someone = left to=20
hit you back with defensive doubling.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt; My = understanding has=20
always been that when the defender is attacking</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&nbsp;in his turn, he attacks with all of his units.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The top three, yes, but if he's in a =
fortress he=20
doesn't have to.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;My understanding is that in any battle, only the front rank in=20
any</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;hex (three full units) are able to fight in melee.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Right. Altho I have played it as both =
rolling and=20
removing simultaneously, just for variance of play. The normal way = better=20
simulates reality, in which one side usually loses alot and the other = only a=20
few. That's what the defensive doubling is there for, to make the = results more=20
extreme.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the email Nomad Gods games I've done =
it=20
simultaneous, with no defensive doubling, as everyone is moving and = fighting at=20
the same time, there being no inactive player.</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;As to=20 fortresses, only the three units to the bottom of the</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;fortress receive the defensive bonus or the choice =
whether</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;or not to attack neighbouring hexes, and that any herd</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;would always be outside of the fortress, as well as any</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;unit atop it, regardless how far to the bottom it is =
located.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Right.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Daniel</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C335E9.FBBB15E0--