dragon pass questions

From: Goihl & Fahey <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:55:21 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C38784.65F20AE0 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

><< 5) For a game that pays so much attention to flavour
>(and benefits hugely as a result) it seems a little odd to
>me that the chaos-hating Sartarites are allowed to ally
>chaotic creatures like Hungry Jack, Hydra and Delecti
>and his Zombies. Is this an omission for the sake of the
>game, or did I miss something in the fluff?>>

The game was made a few years before all that anti chaos stuff was = written. Remember that this game is the earliest published work on = Glorantha. Also, in the game you normally do things like sacrificing = numbers of your own units, choosing which of your units are at the front = to get butchered, and using pillars of fire and other horrors against = others. You can also imagine that when you capture a city it is = plundered by your troops and the inhabitants sold as slaves if they're = lucky. So dealing with chaos is hardly a big no no. People there don't = seem much concerned with human rights or being nice about anything. = Think about recent history and who has allied with whom. It isn't a = stretch to imagine Argrath allying with chaos when various modern = nations regularly sell horrendous weapons to any old mass-murderer and = get away with it while the press reports it to the populace. In = Glorantha there is no mass-media, and people hear only conflicting vague = rumors. So if someone tells you that your nice Argrath allied with chaos = you have probably also heard several dozen times in the past week that = he killed chaos, or is himself dead, and that he's sacrificed the bad = people, or the good people for our sake. In the absence of modern media = there are so many conflicting stories floating around that people pay = them little heed. Even with mass media, in most countries it is so =

censored and full of propaganda that people simply disbelieve most of =
what they hear. Leaders in Glorantha can do pretty much anything they =
want to. Did you actually see Argrath himself do any of those things? =
Who is saying that he did? Must be a Lunar agent.

><<6) How the hell does anyone remember all the rules for >the various exotics?

There are only a few, and at first you can look them up when needed. = Much of that stuff is only used once per game, or not at all. You'll get = used to them.

Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C38784.65F20AE0 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&lt;&lt; 5) For a game that pays so much attention to =
flavour</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;(and benefits hugely as&nbsp;a result) it seems a little odd =
to</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;me that the chaos-hating Sartarites are&nbsp;allowed to =
ally</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;chaotic creatures like Hungry Jack, Hydra and Delecti</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;and&nbsp;his Zombies. Is this an omission for the sake of =
the</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;game, or did I miss&nbsp;something in the fluff?&gt;&gt;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The game was made a few years before =
all that anti=20
chaos&nbsp;stuff was written. Remember that this game is = the&nbsp;earliest=20
published work on Glorantha. Also, in the game you normally do things = like=20
sacrificing numbers of your own units, choosing which&nbsp;of your units = are at=20
the front&nbsp;to get butchered,&nbsp;and using pillars of fire and = other=20
horrors against others. You can also imagine that when you capture a = city it is=20
plundered by your troops and the inhabitants sold as slaves if they're = lucky. So=20
dealing with chaos is hardly a big no no. People there don't seem much = concerned=20
with human rights or being nice about anything. Think about recent = history and=20
who has allied with whom.&nbsp;It isn't a&nbsp;stretch to imagine = Argrath=20
allying with chaos when various modern nations regularly sell horrendous = weapons=20
to any old mass-murderer&nbsp;and get away with it while the press=20 reports&nbsp;it to the populace. In Glorantha there is = no&nbsp;mass-media, and=20
people hear&nbsp;only conflicting vague rumors. So if someone tells you = that=20
your nice Argrath allied with chaos you have probably also heard several = dozen=20
times in the past week that he killed chaos, or is himself dead, and = that he's=20
sacrificed the bad people, or the good people for our sake. In the = absence of=20
modern media there are so many conflicting stories floating around that = people=20
pay them little heed. Even with mass media, in most countries it is so = censored=20
and full of propaganda that people simply disbelieve most of what they=20 hear.&nbsp;Leaders in Glorantha can do pretty much anything they want = to. Did=20
you actually see Argrath himself do any of those things? Who is saying = that he=20
did? Must be a Lunar agent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;&lt;&lt;6) How the hell does anyone remember all the rules =
for</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;the various exotics?</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are only a few, and at first you =
can look=20
them up when needed. Much of that stuff is only used once per game, or = not at=20
all. You'll get used to them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Daniel</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C38784.65F20AE0--