Quick questions

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Sun Jan 15 23:53:45 2006

Howdy all,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:20:08 +0000 CJ <cj_at_falster23.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> Hi chaps, I have some Dragon Pass rleated questions which I will ask
> on the morrow, a i am tired tonight. One quick one - I know Nomad Gods

> and Dragon Pass saw print, though I only own DP - was teh Holy Country
> game ever made? I believe it was to be called Masters of Luck & Death?

It went through various incarnations, and in its final one (still way back in the late 70s or erly 80s), was to be called Lords of Fate. I now use Lords of Fate to refer to the entire Dragon Pass-set of games and game rules.

> Has anyone made their own games covering other parts fo the empire or
> Glorantha? Are there any other Gloranthan board or card games,
official
> or unofficial I might enjoy?

There have been several of these over the years, though I don't think any has ever been actually published. A chap named Charles Morehouse made his own non-hex version of Masters of Luck and Death, a sort of heroquesting card game. I played it once at a convention. Mike Dawson at one time was selling Gloranthan Tarot sets, again at a convention, I don't know if there were any actual games based on it.

A guy named Chester Hendrix did a rune-dice game called Pantheons, which he sold for years at conventions but never managed to get published. It was only Gloranthan in the sense of the runes and some general concepts, but was pretty fun to play.

I have long tinkered with both Masters of Luck and Death and Shadows Dance (see below), and even have a map, full battalia, and mostly complete rules for Shadows Dance. But doing wargames nowadays is an expensive and risky proposition.

> I note Greg Stafford mentions THREE
> boardgames in one biography - I have only ever seen two. Was the other
> one the Holy Country game, or something else?

When Greg talks of the three boardgames, he usually refers to DP, NG, and Masters of Luck and Death, but on occasion Shadows Dance is considered the third one.

> And any plans to reprint DP or NG? If not, why not?

Issaries was discussing this off and on for a couple of years with a wargame publisher, but the economics made it damn near impossible that it would ever happen.

> OK, quick DP rules Question. I understand defensive doubling, but do
> the Sun Dome Templars Double again their Combat FActor when rolling
> after removeing losses after being attacked, giving them a X4 CF
> multiplier? Or am I misunderstadning this?

Don't have my rules book easily available. Daniel?

> And for those who own Nomad Gods, what is it like? I have haeard it si

> not as good as Dragon Pass, but any infoon the game wouldbe of
interest.
> I am keen to buy a copy - one occasionally sees the French edition on
> e-bay, but I'm still interested to hear your opinions till I can lay my

> hands on one.

The game can be very fun, but it is very different dynamics, and because of the possibility of five players can take MUCH longer. Also, if you have 4 or 5 players, it is often very boring for a long time for one or two players, if they aren't involved in any of the battles of the other players.

The game has a bunch more cool units than does Dragon Pass, because of all the spirits. Certainly, if you like Glorantha or Dragon Pass, you'll probably enjoy Nomad Gods, even if only for the info in it.

> Oh last thing - someone recently mentioned a Credo variant. Anyone tell

> me more about this?

I've never heard of a Gloranthan credo variant.

> I have been trying to geta copy of Credo th card
> game for years if anyone can help let me know. "Same Substance,
> Different Substance!" Appeals to my training as a theologian. :)

Credo is a very fun game, especially if you don't know a lot about the history of Christianity.

> cheers chaps! just trying to get these asked before the list
disappears
> on me! (I only joined two weeks back...)

Well, if you keep asking questions, the list won't disappear! And hell, if you look at the archives at all, you could be asking questions for many, many months. :)

Steve