Re: Loads of Stuff

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Thu Jan 19 16:36:32 2006

Howdy All,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:34:07 +1100 Robert McArthur <rjmcarthur_at_gmail.com> writes:

> >>Best rearguard action I know. They can place one illusion a turn,
which
> >>requires a stack of 12 CFs to overcome with a 50% probability (or
> >>archers). When they survive, they get to strike back. They stop even
> >>superhero movement before they are eliminated.
> >
> > OK, I never normally play a rearguard action, unless I am being
thrashed, and
> > even then I tend to attack to get out of situations. That's probably
why I
> > lose a lot.
>
> Just on that point (not your losing :-), we added a rule of overrun to
> get rid of pesky ZOCs that truthfully wouldn't have a snowball's
chance:
> we experimented with two options -
> 1) if the attacker had an automatic kill then they could run right
> over the ZOC and ignore it; or
> 2) if the attacker had a 10:1 CF advantage then they could do the
same.

> Either work well in practice, it just depends on how you want to play
> the game. Defensive terrain counted of course. This usually meant that
> the stack to benefit had a SH in it (who ignores defensive terrain).
>
> What was nice was that other stacks that didn't have a SH often were
> ZOCed while the SH went on alone - whoops :-)

I really like this -- it reminds me of the event in King of Sartar where Harrek suddenly charges across the field of battle and kills the sun priests. This is exactly how that would work.

Makes superheroes a little more powerful still, but I do like it.

Maybe even apply the "3 unit" rule -- a superhero can ignore ZOCs under the appropriate circumstances (as described above), and can carry up to 3 units across with it.

Or is this better as a generic rule, and not specific to superheroes? Would it EVER apply to other units?

Also, what happens to the unit whose ZOC they blow through? They avoid combat, I assume?

Hmm, maybe this IS best reserved to superheroes only -- being able to stop large stacks with a single unit, who must take the time to wipe them out before continuing, is an important tactic in the game, especially the games where the victory condition requires that you protect a certain city at all costs. Allowing, say, 2 large stacks to essentially ignore most defenders could be problematic.

Of course, this goes back to something I said a long, long time ago, that I find it unrealistic that you could have, say, 10 units stacked in a single 12-square-mile area is highly unrealistic. I think I proposed limiting stacks, even in Dragon Pass, to a certain number of troop units, with most other units not counting against any hex-limit.

Steve