Re: Missiles/Grazers

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss>
Date: Mon Jan 23 15:40:20 2006

Steve:
> But the FHQ is already a hero. Hmm, that might work -- what I would do, I
> think now, is make the Luminous Stallion King a regular hero, but make
> the FHQ a magical leader. After all, she holds magical authority, not
> corporeal. Then, either give them a weak shaman, or if not, STILL give
> them a couple of spirits, which you get to use if you ally the Grazers.
> This makes them as much a magical ally as a physical one, which I like.

> > Certainly, the Grazers should be able to summon the Fire Spirits from
> NG, or
> > at least Pole Star, Morning Star and Evening Star. Would they be able
> to get
>
> I am such an idiot!

Well, I didn't like to mention it, but .... :)

> Of COURSE that is what we would do with them! And, of
> course, many other NG spirits ought to be available in DP -- Lightning
> Boy, Rainbow Girl, Thunder Bird (aka the Storm Eagle), Oakfed, Wild
> Hunter, Malia, Thed, Cacodemon. I hadn't thought this all the way through
> -- have 10 or 14 more specific spirits in an expanded DP, and you have
> probably 20 more to add from NG, and probably a few more still from
> Shadows Dance.

You'd have to be careful about who got them, though. In NG, they are all Praxians, so can access all the Praxian spirits. In DP, they are not from the same culture. In the Balazar game, I have different pots for different spirits and you take a pick from the appropriate pot. So Grazelanders would pick from the Grazelander pot, Beastmen from their ownm pot and so on. Others could pick from pots appropriate to places they owned, so if the Sartarites allied the Grazers they could access Grazer spirits, but if the Lunars then took a Grazer town, they could access spirits at that town.

> See, THIS is the main advantage of having the multiple games -- carryover
> of specific units.

Yes, it should work very well.

> > hold of the Pure Horse Founder? Maybe not, as they severed their ties
> with
> > the Pure Horse Tribe.
>
> See, if the Grazers possess him he wouldn't BE the Pure Horse Founder, he
> would be ... whatshisname, can't remember at the moment.
>
> It is the counter that is important, not the name.

I can see it now - summoning whatshisname to fight thingummyjig, and whatshisface.

Steve
> > Which is actually something I have never liked. I don't suppose anyone
> > thinks beefing up the Missile Fire Table just a little bit would be out
> > of order?
> >

> I agree - I think it should be beefed up. Not sure how much by though. Not
> twice as powerful, but maybe 50% more effective.

I'm not sure about combining the missile and combat tables, I like them separate. Different phases of combat doing different things is good.

When I playtested the Balazar game, I had Pentian and Elven archers and Votanki hunters in the game, so the missile table did not really work for massed archers. I think I had something like 15 or 20 Missile factors aimed at one hex - it was difficult to do, but worth it. So, I extended the table slightly to add more missile factor slots. I think I went up to 30, thinkming there was no way to get 30 Missiles in a single combat. It made them effective, though.

I didn't actually beef up the missile effects, simply extended the range. Perhaps you could have an extra disrupted rather than no effect mid-table. If you see what I mean.

Keith gives us some ancient Prax/Pavis scenarios which I'll have to save off, now. More work.

See Ya

Simon