Spirit of the Forest

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Fri Feb 24 15:56:58 2006

Hi All,

> > Just now, I had a different idea -- make these the Spirit of the
Forest
> > for the Stinking Forest and the Vale of Flowers, respectively. (The
Stump
> > becomes the Spirit of the Forest for the Shadows Dance forest.) I
wrote
> > the following text as a brief explanation of how they might work.
>
> Hmm, but there are no (current) Elf units in DP. Since the Spirit is
> essentially useless unless there are Elf units, are you proposing some
> for the Stinking Forest? If so, how and why do they interact with the
> Tusk Riders?

Oh, I should have added a note that this is for my Shadows Dance battalia, which already includes Stinking Forest, Vale of Flowers, and Redwood Elves. Sorry about that. (I guess the Black Elves would get a Fungus Spirit for the Fungus Forest, too. Not sure how to do the Dead Woods Ghost, which should have a similar, but negative, type of relationship with elves.)

> > I don't think there is a Spirit of the Forest anywhere in Dragon Pass
> > except the Stinking Forest, but there would probably be several in
the
> > Great Forests (i.e., Arstola Forest would actually have several of
these,
> > but only one would appear in MoLaD). There MIGHT be one in the Elder
> > Wilds, but I don't think so -- their forest was decimated by
Arkat/Gbaji
> > in the First Age, their great tree consumed in magical fire that
still
> > burns today, but other places would. Hell, Dorastor would have two,
one
> > of them chaotic!
>
> I think I agree. Of course the other forests have spirits but not on
the
> size that would appear in the DP game. Although perhaps, if one player
> used the pillar of fire or otherwise allies trolls, the other player
(or
> players - whichever bids highest) could get some alliance of all the
> elf-related units in the game (currently none :-)

Yes, this is along the lines of the other Diplomacy rules changes proposed earlier on the list.

> Unfortunately I don't
> think Elf units band together outside the confines of their particular
> forest to it may not be very useful. How about if you had to go and get

> something from them a la the dwarf - something that would protect
> *another* three units (above and beyond a Superhero) from the pillar of

> fire if stacked with them? Make it slightly useful as well (maybe like
> -4*--3 and it also doubles the MgF against trolls?)

Not sure I understand what you're talking about here. If the Stinking Forest or Vale of Flowers elves are available, you could assign them DP values and ally them normally. Each has a special unit -- one has a High King Elf, one an Elder Sister dryad, and one a Gardener-type. Can't recall off-hand which has which, though.

> Hey, just had another thought. How about a nice a juicy mini-dragon
> spirit if you do the right things (e.g. magician unit emmissary) at
> Dragon Pass itself (ie. the skull)? Since it's part of/inherent to
> Dragon Pass, perhaps it's part of an arsenal of 3-4 objects/spirits you

> could acquire before you went to Kerofin or the temple - say if you did

> all that then you get another 15 diplomacy per turn, or something else
> cool :-)

An interesting idea -- I do like the idea of some mini-quests, but had never considered what you could actually get for them, besides spirits. Diplomacy point bonuses is a good possibility.

Steve