Roads!

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Wed May 9 22:11:23 2007

Howdy,

> Definitely not (IMHO :-). All it's trying to say is per-hex cost is
> 1/2MP for major roads and 2/3 for minor roads. As per usual, the fun is

> on the edges when you *really* need to get that extra hex but just
can't
> do it. Part of the fun of the game! Oh, and don't forget flying units
> can't benefits from roads. We played it that units with underlined MF
> could benefit, but I can see it the other way as well - what do
> others play?

I believe that the rules are very specific that underlined MFs ignore ALL terrain modifiers, so I would say that individuals don't get the benefit. Unless I am remembering this wrong, which is very possible. Anyway, this is part of the difficulty you face when moving troops and individuals -- the differing movement rates and movement changes with terrain make it difficult to coordinate individuals and troops together. WHich is part of the fun of the game, IMO. :)

"Steve W" <steve_gb_at_boldhome.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> While we're on the road (subject), can people please confirm to me a
> curiousity I only noticed the other day? Although primary roads ignore
> terrain, secondary ones don't (DP 6.1.2). As far as I can see, this
only
> affects the minor roads coming up out of Dwarf Run - is it right that
coming
> up the minor roads across the ridgelines there should cost an extra
(i.e. 2)
> MP? (Unless it happens to be the third "free" one?)

Yes, that sounds right -- a minor road is like a city street, a major road like a highway -- you can blast a tunnel through the hill to get the highway through, but in the city you still have to do a switchback or take side streets to get up the steep hill. Something like that, anyway.

Steve