Re: Roads

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss>
Date: Thu May 10 14:32:25 2007

CJ:
> OK, talking Dragon Pass here.

And Nomad Gods - isn't the Pavis Road a major road?

> Major Roads: half an mp per hex
> Minor Roads: extra "free" hex per 2 hexes travelled.
>
> Does the minor road bonus also apply to units travelling on major roads?
> (ie. is the real movement cost on major road one per four hexes?) Surely
> this can't be the case?

No, a Major Road is a little bit faster than a minor road. They are not compatible because they are different movement terrains.

Robert McArthur:

> Definitely not (IMHO :-). All it's trying to say is per-hex cost is
> 1/2MP for major roads and 2/3 for minor roads. As per usual, the fun is
> on the edges when you *really* need to get that extra hex but just can't
> do it. Part of the fun of the game! Oh, and don't forget flying units
> can't benefits from roads. We played it that units with underlined MF
> could benefit, but I can see it the other way as well - what do others play?

We played that underlined MFs meant that they needn't be affected by terrain features, but they could if they wanted to. So, they get the benefit of roads but aren't slowed by pesky trees.

The ever-so-stable Steve W:
> While we're on the road (subject), can people please confirm to me a
> curiousity I only noticed the other day? Although primary roads ignore
> terrain, secondary ones don't (DP 6.1.2). As far as I can see, this only
> affects the minor roads coming up out of Dwarf Run - is it right that coming
> up the minor roads across the ridgelines there should cost an extra (i.e. 2)
> MP? (Unless it happens to be the third "free" one?)

We played that travel along a road used road rules, whatever the terrain. I'm not familiar with that rule and I haven't got my rules with me.

We ignored ridgelines when on roads, but they still affect combat because you don't line up on the road. Actually, underlying terrain should always affect combat, whatever the road type, come to think about it.

See Ya

Simon