an orlantio story

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 10:58:00 -0500 (EST)

(This is an Imtherian tale, probably derived from the era of Jannisor, when the Imtherian allies thought to satirize the haughty ways of the Dara Happans.)

How Orlantio Turned the Waters
by Harald Smith

There was a time when Orlantio was just a jester, not yet consumed by anger and hate. In those days, Orlantio frequented the Halls of Yelem for he admired the fine marbled columns and jeweled thrones which caused his thoughts to soar; he enjoyed the excellent foods and delicate nectars which eased his hungers; but most of all he loved and desired the fair maidens and nymphs who danced for Yelem.

One day while Orlantio was chasing after Yuterpe, the singing nymph, through the courtyards, a herald arrived seeking Yelem. This herald paused to ask Orlantio where he could find the radiant god.

"Do I look like I have time to chat?" said Orlantio while rushing past.
"Try someone thataway."

The poor herald could not make out what direction Orlantio pointed, so he continued on into a splendid courtyard of gold. There two gods robed in feathers of gold and silver sat moving stones back and forth across a board. The herald paused to ask the two where he could find the radiant god.

"Do we look like we have time to chat?" said the first.

"Try someone in the throne room," added the second while pointing.

The poor herald continued on into the throne room where 100 thrones sat in a circle, each of different stone, each facing the great central dais. Here indeed sat Yelem surrounded by his celestial choir singing praises of the radiant emperor. The herald paused to ask one of the choir to announce him.

"Do I look like I have time to speak?" sang the chorister.

So the poor herald walked up before the mighty emperor and said in a meek and humble voice, "My Lord, I bring tidings. A foe has risen to face you, to challenge your rule."

At the words of the herald, Yelem looked down. Around him the choir stopped, confused. Outside, all paused to hear the words of Yelem, for they knew that he prepared to speak. All that is but Orlantio, who chased after Melante, the laughing nymph, and whose shouts of "Ha, Ha!" and "Come my dear come!" broke the celestial silence.

Yelem finally spoke, though, his words resounding like a mighty bell.
"Who claims to name himself my foe? Who demands to challenge my divine
rule? Is this just?"

The herald, cowed, looked meekly up into the radiance of Yelem and took

strength in the majesty of the splendid emperor. "He names himself Oslir, my Lord. He commands a power that I do not know, though it knows me surely. I looked upon his power, my Lord, and I saw myself within. Oslir names this power water, my Lord, and says that he shall quench you with it."

Yelem spoke again. "Does he now? We shall see if he can bear the justice of the world." Music filled the halls of heaven then as Yelem rose and his mantle cascaded to the floor in a harmony of chimes. Yelem looked upon his court. "I go now to meet this foe. May all know and sing of my decision. May all know and prepare to sing of my victory."

Yelem left the throne room and entered his weapons room. He called upon his sons Khelmal and Basmal, Buseriat and Shargat, and tall Murazar to arm him with his torch and spear, with his orb and sceptre, with his crown and sandals. Khelmal placed the Torch upon his hand. Basmal placed the spear upon his back. Buseriat gave him the orb and Shargat gave him the sceptre. Murazar brought forth the crown, but stopped before Yelem and spoke, "My father Lord, I bring the crown which you have asked for, but I cannot find the sandals which you seek."

Yelem looked upon his son and judged, "I cannot fault you for what you have tried to do. The sandals shall be found again."

And indeed they were, for then it was that first Idome, the silver angel, flew by and then Orlantio, wearing the winged sandals of Yelem and shouting "Ha, ha! You shall not escape my feet!"

Yelem shook his head and looked upon Murazar. "No, my son, you can see yourself that you are not at fault. I shall go without them."

Bearing his divine powers, Yelem walked down the gilded path to meet this foe. When Yelem reached the place where Oslir waited, Yelem spoke. "My herald names you as my foe. Return now to your bed or suffer my justice."

Oslir coiled himself up on his iridescent scales. With unblinking eyes he stared back into the eyes of Yelem, never flinching from their fiery gaze. "I am here to claim your throne," the mighty serpent hissed. "You cannot stop my power for the water is unquenchable."

Yelem was not angered at this impudence, though, for he was just and wise. But he would not be usurped from his rightful place. So he took his torch and brought its fires down upon Oslir's head. Oslir raised his lips and spat at the torch and the torch guttered out. Where the forces met, a cloud formed and spread, threatening to engulf the majesty of Yelem.

"Damn cloud!" cried Orlantio, for Sirope, the gentle cherub, had
disappeared within its growing form. Orlantio stopped and drew his breath until his cheeks bulged wide and blew. He blew so hard that the fog was torn away. "There she is!" shouted Orlantio as the cherub squealed and the chase was on again leaving Yelem and Oslir to their battle.

Yelem took up his spear of light and brought its brilliancee down upon Oslir. Oslir drew up his mirrored scales and turned the spear aside. Where the forces met, a bridge of many lights formed and stretched, threatening to pierce the majesty of Yelem.

"Damn bridge!" cried Orlantio, for Niobe, the graceful dancer, had dashed
up the bridge to escape his grasp. Orlantio leapt upon the bridge with a mighty jump. He jumped and trod upon the bridge so hard that the bridge broke apart beneath him. "I have you now!" shouted Orlantio as the dancer twisted away. The chase was on again leaving Yelem and Oslir to their battle.

Yelem finally held his sceptre and his orb high and brought their authority and command down upon Oslir. But Oslir broke into a thousand shards of water, so that only a few fell before the blows of Yelem. The rest, like sparkling fish, leapt up, higher and higher, escaping the power of Yelem. Yelem shook his head, for he knew he could not defeat this foe. Oslir laughed. With heavy heart Yelem accepted his defeat. He reached to take the crown from his head.

"Not this time you don't" cried Orlantio. With grey net in hand he
sought Virose, the silver star, who had dashed amidst the form of Oslir. Orlantio raced round and round, fast as the wind, his net trailing behind. Running tighter and tighter, he gathered all the shards of Oslir, each and every one, until he caught Virose in the center. "At last, you're mine!" Clutching the star nymph to himself, Orlantio tossed the net aside. Held within the net, Oslir fell as rain from the sky back to earth, never to reach high into heaven again.

Yelem stood still, his crown upon his head, and accepted the justice of the world. With praises ringing all around, Yelem returned once again to his splendid throne and his majesty spread again across the world. He sent the herald out to proclaim the victory over Oslir and to accept the surrender of all the watery gods.