Quantum past

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:13:56 -0500 (EST)

In the February 1995 issue of Analog, Donald Kingsbury has an interesting piece called "The Janus-Headed Arrow of Time: Entropy and Time Travel." He points out that any conception of time travel involves the concept that SOMEWHERE there exists a "universal memory." In fact there is no evidence that such a memory exists, and the existence of black holes suggests that "the past communicates with the future via a "lossy" transmission." Kingsbury's argument is that, just as there are multiple futures possible when we start at this moment, so are there multiple pasts! :

   "Am I daring to say that if we backtrack through time, our footsteps won't fall into the same tracks? Absurd, Mr. Kingsbury -- such rude behavior would imply that our Universe has a history of alternate pasts! But that is exactly what I am saying. The past that we remember is not the only past that we have.

    Common sense -- as well as the physics establishment, 1994 -- tells us that the universe has only one past. (If you believe this, I can probably convince you that an electron is a particle.) Follow me in a bit of simple Aristotelian logic:

  1. Quantum mechanics tells us that the Tree-of-Now branches up into alternate futures -- see Wheeler and Everett.
  2. The equations of quantum mechanics, for example, Dirac, circa 1929, are time symmetric.
  3. Therefore the Tree-of-Now MUST root down into alternate pasts. Contrary to everything you have ever been told, there is no entropic arrow of time. Entropy turns out to be Janus-faced, peering both into the future and into the past. We find a second arrowhead where we were told that the feathers would be." This may solve all those Heroquest adventures! People are travelling to ALTERNATE pasts! Doing so doesn't change the present; it just gives a different explanation for what exists in the present! In doing that, it may be a good way to change the future! In fact, the best way to change the future, but it doesn't change the present! Maybe this is what the God-Learners were doing with all their religion shuffling? Jim Chapin

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #67