Bo knows

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:49:05 -0500

Bo Rosen offers a scenario (The Nameless Earth Spirit) I wish I'd thought of. Unfortunately, at least two players in my game read this list, and I can't use it now. Shucks. I really liked the cloak/facelessness bit, but I have one small quibble:

>The adventurers will be well received if they do this and will
>probably be offered some training or spells.

I think they should be remembered in song forever.

As for the heroquest, my main problem in these is feeding the information to the players of the type "go to point A and perform act 1." Obvious ways include Lhankor Mhy scrolls (ugh), wise old men (semi-ugh), and my current favorite: "Hey, you--improvise."

Watch this space for notes on a similar ritual adventure (hey, MOB--it's poetry with footnotes!) that I ran Sunday. The adventurer who took the lead commissioned a poem to commemorate the deed, and I'm working on it now.

Brian Pinch says:
>Mike Dickinson also talked about cult of THE YEAR SONS. His
>request for opinions question on the cult is way outside my
>range of knowledge. I am interested in this but I waited for
>replies or criticisms but none appeared on the daily and so I
>ask if people can pass on their knowledge of this cult.

I expect the lack of answers to this inquiry was due to Nick Brooke's being at the Con. Look in the RQ Con I book, under the Cultural Exchange transcript, for some thoughts tying the Year Sons to the Pharaoh.

Michael Raaterova says some sensible things about Orlanthi kingship, but I quibble with one line:
>The chieftain isn't revered the same way that a holy person or
>hero is.

Not in the same way, no--but consider: by annointing a man as chieftain, you grant him a portion of the sacred power of the group. For this reason, chieftains are always holy.