7th Council notes

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 07:56:00 -0500 (EST)

  As encouragement for others to contribute their HtWWO LARP writeups, I'm   posting my own.

(The following writings are part of the USC (University of Sog City)
  holdings on Business Studies and the Performing Arts. They apparently date   from the founding of the new school in 1625 S.T. immediately following the   completion of the 7th Ecclesiastical Council. They are thought to have   been written by Pelinorius Staarki, then Vice Chancellor of the University.   That this same Pelinorius is also cited as the founder of the Ship and City   cult, the New College of Popular Astrology, the New University of the   Common Trades, and the College of Far Eastern Studies, either indicates   that this was a man of extraordinary vision or that popular mythology has   erased the truth.)

  At first I was greatly disturbed by the decision of our Brithini Masters   to convene the 7th Ecclesiastical Council, particularly since they insisted   onn holding the council upon University grounds! However, I was not one   to argue with their decision and they seemed to favor this form of   entertainment.

  Of course, the expense of hosting such a contingent of diverse and   antagonistic churchmen and knights (yes, knights!) would surely put a   severe strain upon the University's resources for years to come.   Additional guards would have to be hired, food and servants would have to   be found, and the Council would have to be monitored for inappropriate   behavior. The costs could be astronomical.

  Gradually, it dawned upon me that there was also an extraordinary   opportunity here for this Council to benefit the University. Surely, this   was the reason the Brithini Masters had decided to hold such an affair, if   only I could seize the opportunity when it was presented. So I developed   not only a short-term plan to provide the usual University tours, but I   conceived a long-term plan to develop the School of Business Studies and   Performing Arts.

  Why I had not thought to do so before, I am not sure. Certainly the space   was available on campus in the form of the old and ruined School of   Performing Arts. The long-term association of that building with certain   unsavory and banned performances undoubtedly was the main reason no one   could see its potential use. All that was needed to put a new face on the   building was money. And as I thought about money for the Council and for   the building, it came to me that we had no school or college devoted to the   study of money, its use in the mundane world of trade, or its use in the   esoteric world of ritual. Then the realization came (while conducting   discussions at the docks no less!) that trade and ritual were both mere   aspects of performance. A School of Business Studies and Performing Arts   made perfect sense and the new design would certainly clear up all   lingering fears related to a school solely based on "art for art's sake".

  I realized that there were five keys to the success of this endeavor.   First, the University had to maintain a solid reputation throughout the   Council so as to encourage all notables to send their children or relatives   to USC. Second, an initial outlay of money was needed to overhaul the old   ruins. Third, a steady stream of money was needed to keep the School

  lively and vigorous (unlike our School of Necromancy, so mired in out of   date practices!). Fourth, the School required a prominent name to   immediately lend credibility to our efforts. Finally, the School required   a professor of vision who could easily see new opportunities for growth.

  With the arrival of the multitude of delegates to the University, my tasks   began in earnest. Unfortunately, most church delegates were too busy   discussing arcane and obscure points of Comparative Theology (though my   colleagues in that faculty had a field day and claim that they have enough   material to last a good century!). The knights were no better, being   concerned with a trivial war in the east or with the tournaments (though   the latter proved to be a good moneymaker and certainly defrayed the costs   of University upkeep).

  The one exception I found early on was the Lunar Ambassador who was looking   to establish a new line of trade with Sog City. What luck! I thought.   Surely the hand of the Invisible God himself had brought this to be. With   appropriate formality, the Ambassador and I were able to forge a formal and   binding agreement that would require all trade goods coming from or going   to the Lunar Empire to pass through the new School of Business Studies and   Performing Arts for review by the faculty and students. These goods would   then be released as part of particular doctoral studies with express   approval of the Vice Chancellor, the Mayor, and a representative of the   Watchdog Council. That the Mayor, Judge Grudd, responded so favorably to   the treaty proved my instinct in this matter.

  So, with a steady stream of money and goods assured to support the School,   I went looking for a patron. Though several individuals offered promises,   I could not find an actual donor. Though I began to think my efforts would   go for nought, a particular incident proved to be the keystone for my   success. With the help of the Watchdog Council, one Igora Cleanhands, a   promising student within the Faculty of Healing Arts, had undertaken a new   study involving the use of a homunculus. Early attempts proved somewhat   faulty however and several complaints were made to myself, including one   from the University Chaplain. It appeared that the homunculus had acted   in a manner similar to Tapping and that such had occurred on University   grounds at the request of Gaiseron the Mystic. I was shocked, of course,   and expressed my outrage to Gaiseron himself. He was clearly affected by   my discourse and promptly turned over 200 crowns to allow the University   to clear its name. Naturally, the First Chair of the new School was named   in Gaiseron's honor.

  An unfortunate incident regarding Bishop Fidele and another bishop, the   first female bishop that I could recall within the Rokari church, gave me   further opportunities to advance the new School. In their somewhat   agitated state (the woman proved to be pregnant), they readily saw the   benefit to be derived from having a school devoted to Business Studies and   the Performing Arts. Their donation of 100 crowns to my efforts was most   pleasing and allowed me to immediately fund more faculty positions.

  Having accomplished the foundation of the School, I only had two more tasks   at hand. The first, ensuring the solid reputation of the University,   proved the more difficult for my colleagues were busy getting themselves   into trouble. The most notable incident occurred after the prophet Notslor

  spontaneously combusted. The relics were seized by Gorian Stridyeard,   esteemed Professor of Necromancy. Unfortunately, he placed them in his own   College tower and refused to make them available for general viewing (which   surely would have proved more profitable). Of course, certain bishops   decided that they wanted the relics for themselves. I finally had to   intervene and enter the tower of the Necromancers myself (no sense in   having churchmen wandering all over the University raising a hue and cry).   I brought the relics out and delivered them to the 7th Council so that they   could decide themselves how to deal with Notslor's remains. That they   chose to carry them off to battle, I found a relief--they were certainly   nothing but trouble to have on hand (keeping people from overfeeding the   titanothere was difficult enough).

  Finally, I had to find a Professor who could truly lead the School of   Business Studies and Performing Arts. And I did! A person of definite   vision and insight--none other than Igora Cleanhands. Her further efforts   at refining the use of the homunculus and in creating the first live undead   performance piece (with the aid of the College of Necromancy) showed me   that she was indeed the person for the office. Though I had to obtain some   extremely rare oysters for a colleague (which proved surprisingly easy--   merely requiring me to allow the Dragonship to dock) and ensure that   another colleague understood the arrangements I had made with her lover
(the Lunar Ambassador no less!), I was able to obtain the necessary
  approvals and majority needed to raise Igora to the Gaiseron Chair in   Business Studies and Performing Arts.

  Altogether, the 7th Ecclesiastical Conference could not have been more   beneficial to the University. With a new School underway and cheap land   available for expansion (many of the nearby buildings had unfortunately   washed away when the Dragonship docked), I knew the future held great   promise. Clearly, the University of Sog City was poised for bigger and   better things.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #115