YT/publication

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 18:03:00 -0600

        To start, please be patient with the long running YT thread. I am aware that not everyone is interested, but the same could be said of the names of Kralorean Emperors, or Chalanna Arroy vegetarianism. Moreover, this debate has potentail impact on material that will be published in the not too distant future. Isn't it better to discuss this sort of thing in advance, rather than afterwards? I have heard many complaints that people (in general) have no chance at input to works in progress...

To start, a quote from Nick Brooke,

> Even Nick Brooke seems to have drawn back from his statement that to
> join YT you had to first buy a Lunar Officer's commission. <----AJ

When and where have I *ever* made such a statement?                 <----NB

  In the same thread NB asks this question he says:

 "Consider, please: if 95% of the regiments in the Lunar Army have   Yanafal Tarnils officers, and 5% are all-Yanafali regiments,......"

  An all-Yanafali regiment has between 70% and 90% foot sloggers (depending  on organization); these are the grunt Yanafali. (This is not the first thread mentioning all YT formations, but is the first one that I can definately attribute to Nick.)

Nick further asks:
 "Does Yanafal Tarnils even look like a god who could have a vast   following among the common soldiers of an army?..."

  Why not?
  Although YT is similar to Humakt in many ways, he is not a carbon copy. His single most significant act was to assist in the rebirth of the Red Moon Goddess; an act of immense ritual magic! Yanafal is not tied to the Truth Rune, to the best of my knowledge (?), and obviously had some different ideas from Humakt, or he wouldn't have gone a different way.

        Aden Steikne has answered the Obverse/Reverse subject fairly well, but I am left with one additional question: Why should Nick and the authors of Tarsh war beleive that "Joe Average Lunar", is any less decent than "Sven Average Orlanthi"? To start with, Joe is a composite of the racial averages of Dara Happa, non-DR Peloria, Carmania, and numerous Dragon Pass countries (doubtless I've left a few out). What makes such a 'vanilla-flavored' average indecent or dishonorable? Also, according to World of Glorantha, the 'Barbarian Belt' of Orlanthism extends well into Peloria. When the Lunar Empire came through, these people mostly switched from the worship of Orlanth & Ernalda to Barntar & Ernalda; retaining most of their orlanthi cultural ways. How do these people get to be less 'decent and honorable' than their cousins?

Lets go back to Nick's 95%/5% paragraph for a minute.

 "Consider, please: if 95% of the regiments in the Lunar Army have Yanafal   Tarnils officers, and 5% are all-Yanafali regiments, then most people in   the Lunar Empire will think of Yanafal Tarnils as god of officers. After   all, while there are (say) 5,000 men who worship him in five regiments,   there are 95,000 who know that only the top handful of men in their own   regiments worship him. We're writing up the Empire-wide cult, in its most   typical perceived/functional role: army officers. Lunar Army officers   can be met everywhere in the Empire; whole regiments of Yanafali can't."

        I see two large holes in the argument above. First, the concept of 95% of the Army's officers being YT is itself under debate; it is thus a poor prop to base the proposition on, (more on that bit later). Second, if 5% of all regiments are all YT, what about the other 95%? Not a single Yanafali in any of them? This hardly seems likely; while some regiments would have regimental cults, others would not necessarily have a fixed cult, and some would be partially Yanafali. That last part is easily understood considering the following two examples.

  1. In a time of major warfare, an all YT formation is badly mauled, say 50% losses. Another formation (non YT) is similarly injured. In order to get the men back into combat quickly, the two formations are merged; they spend a few weeks training together to garner some cohesion and go back into the fight. This sort of combination is common throughout history; the commanding general wants to get a regiment back in the field as soon as possible, and isn't very concerned with the traditions of the two previous units. It would be left to the surviving officers to work out the details. A mixture of traditions would ensue, with the freedom to worship YT or not (otherwise the regiment would curdle from within).
  2. A brand new regiment is to be formed; in order to ease recruitment no cult obligations will be enforced. After the unit starts training, the YT instructors start having ceremonies & whatnot. No pressure need be put upon the recruits to join, or to leave their old cults. It's just that the top brass sponsors the Yanafali; it is a war cult in the midst of people who are turning into warriors, and it is at hand. A fair, portion of the regiment will turn in this direction mosre-or-less naturaly. result a mixed YT/whatnot regiment (which may be slowly going all YT?) NOTE: this aproach could as easily be used by Yana Aranis, or Hwarin Dalthippa, or any other existing cult. It is not a good way to start a regimental cult; it works by 'grafting'. You can start grafting regimental cults too, but they cease to be regimental...

        That suits me fine! Your suggestions are flexible, and I have little trouble accepting them. Unfortunately NB is not being flexible; he flatly states that YT=officer, and vice versa. He also "posits" that all units have regimental cults, leaving no room for Duke Yanafal, Yara Aranis, Hwarin Dalthippa, or anybody else; one regiment=one unique cult. It is these unwavering mandates that I am arguing against. It is all very well and good to say, "if you don't like it, don't do it that way. But I am afraid that the majority of the judges who buy the product will play it EXACTLY as written, and it will become 'cannon'.

Andrew Joelson				joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com
AKA Rupert von Harl, priest of Yanafal Tar'nils, follower of Humakt "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway."