Brithini worship of gods?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:19 1997

Nick wrote in Glorantha Digest 203

> I'd lump original Prophetic/Exilic Malkionism in with the other "harsh survival
> myths" of the Darkness: follow this Law in every way, without question, and you
> *may* just survive. So Malkion's Kingdom in the Ice Age was essentially
> monotheistic -- under siege! -- but subsequently united with everything else in
> Creation after "I Fought We Won". This was when the Malkioni learned about and
> accepted the existence of all the other deities.

Hmmm. I know this is my personal and Heortland Aeolian coloured impression of th Kingdom of Logic, but I felt that the Kingdom of Logic knew deities, and had a bunch of all kinds of them in or around their Kingdom (hence the Brithos elves who reared infant Arkat, hard to explain otherwise, hence also their knowledge of the False Gods (failed, or fallen wizards) like Humct - the latter only IMO).

While my speculation that they had a minor version of the Celestial Court on their island/continent may be too close to the edge (well, the KoL was), I still feel that the original denizens of the Kingdom of Logic, before Malkion arrived among them, knew the gods, and accepted them as their equals. Malkion is said to have converted gods to his way - the indigenous deities of the Kingdom of Logic (the later Brithos) seem to be prime candidates.

Malkion's kingdom of the Ice Age may well have been monotheistic, but I'm not so sure about the Kingdom of Logic at his arrival. After all, there have been logical "proofs" that a god, or more than one, exist(s).

> New problems immediately arise, as the Prophet's followers now know that the
> other non-Chaos entities

collectively named krjalki...

> and peoples of the world have contributed just as much
> as they did to its salvation.

Do they know that? (This works also the other way round: do the Orlanthi know/accept that Zzabur contributed to the salvation of the world?)

Zzabur is said to have cooperated with Kyger Litor at times. Would his Brithini disciples know?

> The Malkioni Wizards of the Grey Age and Dawning periods knew all of the gods
> from their own personal experience, and taught their flocks which of them should
> be prayed to under which circumstances.

> Probably post-IFWW pre-Dawn Malkioni simply used the gods - not theistic
> worship, but not God Learner exploitation.

I liked the "Pray to them to help you in your life, but look out for Solace in your afterlife" approach.

[Deities worshipped by Malkioni]
> They are, however, a degree more abstract and less mythological
> than theistic deities,

More abstract than the Solar ones? More abstract and less mythological than their Celestial Court? Or did you mean "Theyalan" for "theistic"?

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #210