Question: Sorcery

From: Takehiro OHYA <KFC01067_at_niftyserve.or.jp>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 22:56:00 +0900

Takehiro OHYA here.

I have some questions about Sorcery, or accurately speaking, about its enchantment system in RQ3. These questions arose from some discussions on a Japanese computer network, on where no consensus was made. If someone could give me some kindly advise or information, or even one's own opinion, I'm very glad.

I'm afraid that my question sounds somewhat God-Learnerish, but what I want to know is not the only absolute answer but your standard of how to deal such problems.

OK, let's start.

The main question is, "When you make some automatic spellcasting traps, is it enough to enchant Spell Matrix and Magic Point Matrix with Attack Condition and Link Spell Condition?"

Suppose you want to attack anyone (without yourself) who touchesone of your treasure with Venom (intencity 5) automatically. At least the followings are necessary enchantment, I think.

  1. Sorcery Spell Matrix: Venom intencity 5 (5 POW required)
  2. Magic Point Matrix: at least 5 MP (some POW required)
  3. Attack Condition: anyone but you (1 POW required)
  4. Link Spell Condition: Venom to MP (1 POW required)

The point is, whether the subject of spell is necessary or not. When you use a spell which is enchanted in the item you have, you are the subject of the spell, thus your attributes work. i.e., you use your own skill, total ENC, POWx5, or MP when the target tries to resist the spell.

  1. The first opinion is, "The subject is not necessary."

From this point of view, the base attribute for spell casting(a-1), impaling defensive spells(a-2) and resisting(a-3) become next problems in turn.

a-1-1) Spells are automatically casted.
a-1-2) Spells are successfully casted when you role less than the

       parcentage of success of the day of enchantment.

Since the Sorcery Spell Matrix is enchantment of knowledge only
(IMHO), I prefar the latter, but due to the lack of rule there
is no clincher, I suppose.

a-2-1) Spells automatically impale all defensive spells like

       Shield.
a-2-2) It depends on "the total number of POW points used to

       enchant"(Deluxe Ed. p.140: Area-Effect Conditions)

a-3-1) The target cannot resist at all.
a-3-2) The target can resist against "the total number of POW

       points used to enchant"(Deluxe Ed. p.140)

Here arose a problem, "what 'The magical strength' (RQ Deluxe Ed. p.140: Area-Effect Conditions). I regard this description as the strengs of impaling(a-2-2).

The basically different opinion is,

b) The subject is absolutely nessecary for all spell.

This mean, automatic spellcasting traps consist not only of Spell Matrix, MP Matrix, Attack Condition and Link Spell Condition but also of binding subject, for instance Ghost or Magic Spirit, who are commanded to cast the spell.

Since this opinion is supported by some rule description, I prefar this.
("Anyone who can use the item..." Deluxe Ed. p.141: Spell Matrix
Enchantment, "a person who uses an item..." Deluxe Ed. p.142: Sorcery Spell Matrix. Both seems to stand on the assumption that there is always a subject when an enchantment is used)

The problem of this idea is, however, it seems that there is almost no value of Link Magic Point Conditions under this.

So I want to hear the wizard's opinion here. Help me please.

Takehiro OHYA _at_ College of Arts and Sciences The Univ. of Tokyo

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #211