Re: broo mating habits

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 14:45:35 -0500

Dave Cake
>So, anyone have any information on the breeding cycle of the
>original broo race? Or better ideas than mine?

        As to the latter I can't say, but my belief is that the Mistress Race Broos were entirely male, and bred in parallel manner to modern Gloranthan unicorns, dryads, and harpies -- i.e., they mate with other species, and the children of their own sex are their own species. No doubt the Mistress Race broos were far more limited in exactly what species they could mate with -- perhaps there was even a single (now-extinct) species that supported them.

        I believe that broos were "pre-selected" to become chaotic monsters however, and to become the personification of Rape, in the same way that Zorak Zoran, before Light ever existed, was likely to one day become Light's enemy.

Andrew Joelson
>Sandy's view on trollish culture being instinct-based doesn't jibe
>with KL 'mating with the man-rune'. The trolls should be closer to
>humans than elves or mostali.

        What? Elves and mostali used the man-rune to _exactly_ the same extent that KL did to form her race. Elves, trolls, and mostali (and mermen) each have almost the same precise relationship to humans. It's no accident that the mobile plants look like humans, and the mostali are the most human-appearing elder race of all.

>Dave Dunham suggests that the older the culture, the more variance.
>As a counter example, I mention the Brithini & Mostali.

        A poor example, since as you point out later on, the Brithini and Mostali cultures are quite new generationally (i.e., heaps o' Brithini and Mostali were around when the cultures were created).

        But most trolls that existed in the Storm Age now live in Wonderhome, and those few elderly uzuz that live in the Castles of Lead are practically hermits.

>And as for Darktongue being in use all over Glorantha, I have a
>real-world example; Hebrew was commonly learned and spoken by Jews
>all over the world for centuries with minimal changes occurring....

        It was not spoken as the common language of trade, but as a religious obligation. Most Jews spoke Yiddish, or the local language, or something else. Even in Christ's time, they didn't speak Hebrew for most purposes. But Darktongue is not just a ceremonial thing -- it _is_ the troll speech.

Graeme W.
>This seems an appropriate time to refloat my theory that non-chaotic
>broo are satyrs. Satyrs are beastmen with horns who have to use
>other man-rune species to propagate. They tend to be lewd and
rude. >A very small extrapolation from these characteristics give us the >famed broo that we love to hate.

        Well, I won't go so far as to claim that satyrs are the Mistress Race broo in person, but your argument makes it likely that they at least share the same ancestor.