Instinctive Darktongue

From: Scott Haney <scotty_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 17:41:08 CDT

&
& This would seem to imply that the hypothetical "Troll raised by Humans"
& would be able to speak fluent darktongue, something I'm not quite ready to
& accept.
&

Fluent? No, but he'd be able to make himself understood to other trolls. Darktongue has both a sonic (and largely onomatopoetic) component and a visual component (rather like sign language). I believe the sonic portion is largely instinctive, and the tendency for the sounds to mimc what they represent is a manifestation of Darkness: Darkness spirits take the forms of what they consume, and thus Darktongue is imitative.

I think the visual component would vary between troll groups, and a human-raised troll would have a 'visual accent' that would be well-nigh incomprehensible to normal trolls.

Scotty