Myth and Truth

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 1995 12:53:11 -0400

Several people posting here are guilty of a great error: the assumption that Glorantha is our Earth. It isn't.

The extrapolation seems to run: since religious beliefs on Earth are mutable, and do in fact change dramatically over time, and since the associated myths here also change to match the cultures that tell the stories, the same must be true in Glorantha.

Nope.

Certainly the stories change on Glorantha -- they're being told by human beings (among others) after all. However there are clear reasons to think that the God Time and its events "really happened", and that there are limits to how far from this pattern the myths are permitted to get.

For one piece of evidence, the God Learners eventually failed. They could distort things only so far before being obliterated. There seems to be a "tension" created when myth is too divergent from "what the gods remember", and too much tension causes things to snap.

For another, perhaps the most famous reality-changing heroquest in Gloranthan history, the destruction of troll fertility by Nysalor. When he clawed the womb from (forgot her name, Kyger Litor's hypostasis of fertility), the trolls didn't *forget* that they had ever been able to have normal children. The myth didn't change at all.

I hate Berkeleyism or anything that smacks of it. - --
Assistant Sysop, GEnie's First and Fourth Science Fiction RoundTables The SFRT page has moved AGAIN, to http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt1