Burned books & time

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 09:00:52 +0200

Me:
>So how old are the oldest surviving Kralorelan accounts of 'Yelm'? A lot older
>than 100ST I'd say.

Peter:
>Oldest surviving? No older than the Sun Stop say I. Shang after all
>took good care to torch all the books, laughing with glee. The Kralori

                         ^^^

>reconstructed the books from memory, kinda of like fahrenheit 451.

I don't know what a Kralorelan 'all' is percentage-wise, but in this case I'm pretty sure it's less than 100%. There are also writings which are a great deal harder to burn than those painted on paper or silk.

What I'm saying is that trying hard as he might have, I don't think Shang-Hsa managed to destroy all previous records. As to whether Shang-Hsa was emperor at the sunstop, we have debated that before, so I'll not reopen that issue.

Peter:
>The Significance which many attach to the statement that Time began at 0
>ST is what I think throws many off. The Glorantha Book in G:CotHW makes
>a clearer case when it says that before Time began, things were dreamy
>like as opposed to after. This refers IMO to the Godtime being closer to
>the Mundane World before the Dawn.

The East Islanders say that there are two worlds: the waking world and the dream world. In the godtime everybody was in full touch with both. Then as time began a strict causality was enforced, i.e. cause must precede effect. That's not how the dream world works, so the two worlds split up and the dream world became much more difficult to reach. The dream world is still there and touches upon the waking world, but it requires special skills to get into it. Really skilled magicians can look into both worlds at once in a state of lucid dreaming.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net