a whole lot of things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:48:30 +1300

Hannu Kokko:

>Can anyone recall what are the "occupation laws" enforced in Sartar during
>Lunar occupation referred to in KOS. I don't have all of my reference
>material accessible at the moment. I presume that these laws would involve
>banning plate armor, forbidding certain kind of magic use in public places,
>closing down of Stormbull temples, outlawing the ducks, forbidding large
>meetings of armed bodies. Any other suggestions.

I don't have any reference to the actual occupation laws imposed by Euglyptus the Fat. The Outlawing of the Ducks was passed by Fazzur after Starbrow's rebellion of 1613 ST. Storm Bull worship AFAIK has not been banned although the Uroxi were scarce in Sartar after Starbrow's revolt. Likewise the piece on Starbrow's rebellion in Wyrms Footprints mentions that the Lunars tried to relieve a party off plate Armour and chain barding 'as the new law required'. So I doubt that those were imposed in 1602 ST either.

>Any suggestions what units of the Lunar army are stationed in the Boldhome,
>Jonstown area during the 1620's.
>Beryl Phalanx?

Some description of this is mentioned in Wyrms Footprints but only for 1613.

>What kind of public Orlanth worship is allowed within the Lunar occupation
>area in Sartar, for example are the temples in the cities (Boldhome,
>others) closed or forced to worship in toned down ways (a la Temple of Air
>in Pavis).

I would presume it's forbidden. Pavis is a special case as half the poplace are not ethnic sartarites.

>I presume that Orlanth holy sites outside the city/town area
>are still very much in use. The map of Boldhome in the Rough Guide to
>Boldhome does not mention any temple to Orlanth, perhaps this is an
>intentional oversight by the Lunarite writers of the document?

I think this would have been closed down and/or burnt.

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Pewter, an alloy of lead and tin,
>would be quite impossible on Glorantha because Sky/Light and Darkness
>don't mix well.

Ah but Tin is Gold that has been corrupted by Water first!

>On Glorantha, each of these three variants of gold might exist as
>rune metals, and be associated with the various offspring of Aether.

Why can't they be alloys instead? It doesn't work out as rune metals anyway coz tin is too cheap to be Whitegold.

>Hmm, while I am at the matter of God Learner Runic connections, has
>anybody ever stumbled across the disorder of the seasons when compared
>to mythic sequence as defined in the Monomyth?

>[Sequence comparison of the Monomyth with the Theyalan Seasons and the
>Theyalan Week deleted]

>I just wonder how this discord would influence longer ceremonies, like
>for instance the Short Lightbringers' Quest, or the Seven Year Build-up
>previous to the Battle of Four Arrows of Light, the three-year preparation
>for the Skyburn, the five year preparation for the Moonburn, or the four
>year preparation for the Sartar Temple of the Reaching Moon (begun in
>1621, almost finished in 1625).

Why should it affect the Carmanians, Char-un and the Lunars for a start? They do not use the Theyalan Calender for religious ceremonies AFAIK. And I can't see any elemental relevance to the Short Lightbringers' Pilgrimage in KoS.

[Ralios]

>> Re with Ralios, I think the battles between the cities are more like
>> each army manevuers for a good position until one gets trapped into a
>> hopeless postion and surrenders. [Anecdote about the french deleted]

>Actually, I can believe that this is what made Bailifes the Hammer such
>a crushing success.

Bailifies declared a _Crusade_. Even if the Ralian City states had fought normally instead, they still would have been creamed. He exacted tribute from most of Safelster in a single season which is quicker than what the French did in Italy.

>Current affairs in Ralios seem to be a lot more
>bloody - at least that is the impression I got from HtWW1

This is however 1625 ST. I was speaking of the style of Ralian conflict between Ulianus's conquests (in a Chivalrous manner) and the latest Seshnelan invasion. I do not think they have been continually fighting brutal bloody war ever since Bailifes Crusade for the population generally suffers and it becomes easier to control by outside powers (cf Greece's experience in 3rd or 2nd century BC)

>> Seshnela is not chivalric like Loskalm IMO.

>Funny - I'd have phrased this vice versa.

Ok. Seshnela _was_ Chivalric and still has signs of it like the King's Justicar. After an initial wave of Rokari Fanaticism, Seshnela came under the influence of rediscovered chilvary through the Castle Coast and this spread into Ralios during King Ulianus's campaign. The last truly Chivalric King however was Vikard of the Tourneys. Look what he did. Gave away all of his Safelstran Lands! So I don't think Chivalry is the flavour of the month in Seshnela. The King and Ecclesiarch may mouth pious platitudes about Hrestol's code of Chilvary but IMHO they would not blink at the excesses of the thirty years war...

>Having played a Castle Coast character in HtWW1 gave me
>the impression that Seshnela and Kustria (right across the border)
>is the most romantic chivalrous region you can find on Glorantha.

The Chivalrous Lands of Castle Coast is not the Kingdom of Seshnela and what happens in the Courts has very little relevance to the Battlefield.

>The Kustrians use the tournament grounds as a means of democratic
>elections (among the chivalrous class), if I understand the short
>entry in the Ralios chapter of the Genertela Book correctly.

What? It says 'settling arguments' in mine! Think of it as a UN. Instead of fighting a war, they go to Kustria and settle it. The tournament was created by King Ulianus III and I doubt that he was instituting 'democractic elections' in Kustria!

>As I sad above, this sounds more like the impact Bailifes had on the
>Ralian city states when he conquered most of them.

>Current (1615-1625) Seshnegi advances into Ralios are dragging a lot
>more than Bailifes original campaign,

huh? You appear to be contradicting yourself. And the impetus for the current Seshnelan style of warfare was pioneered by Guilmarn's father when he tried to promote royal power in Seshnela.

>and political infighting in Ralios
>has been brutal already when Argin Terror's mother was widowed.

That was a naval campaign and not a land battle. One can have nasty political infighting without devastating wars. IMO, the Count of Jorglaban sounds like a diabolical pirate for whom the Ralian customs of war did not apply. How else could his Widow jump into bed with the Devil so quickly?

Marko H. Tamminen:

>My source claims it to be one of the biggest cities in Glorantha but
>also says, that the population is (only) 100'000 people!

Good ol' Lhankor Mhy solipism strikes again. It is one of the biggest but they omit (for reasons out of vanity) that the cities that are bigger than it are bigger by a magnitude...