2 clacks on harrek

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:28:00 -0500 (EST)

  Hi--

  Throwing in my 2 clacks worth on Harrek. Dave Cake discusses whether   Harrek is a 'magician' or not. He rightly points out that Harrek is not   your standard 'stay off to the side and cast spells' magician.

  He goes on to say:
> when Harrek massacres an army unit, I think he (after first making an
  informed tactical evaluation) calls on his magical powers to make   himself very personally, makes perhaps excursions into the heroplane to   destroy their magical support, calls on other powers to weaken the unit   (perhaps dstroying the morale), and when he has made himself berserk and   outrageously powerful, he leads a terrifying wolf pirate charge.

  Well, we really don't know if he needs to call upon his magical powers   first or not. For all practical purposes, Harrek IS the White Bear and   may automatically have such powers such as superhuman strength,   invulnerable skin, changing into bear form, causing fear in all within   sound range, plus his berserker rage. I don't see these as being the   same as casting spirit magic.

  I can see him making excursions into the heroplane, but that seems   unlikely say during the midst of a battle unless someone else opens up a   heroplane gate or somehow transposes the battle to the hero plane. And   what other powers would he call on to weaken a unit. I don't think as a   superhero he really needs anything other than himself.

> Sure, Harrek goes berserk, is extremely violent, and is regarded by
  his cultured sophisticated enemies as a terrifying psychopath. He is   also extremely smart, very knowledgeable about magic, very knowledgeable   about warfare, and likes his enemies to think of him as a terrifying   psychopath. His wolf pirates respect him as a killer, but also think he   is a leader worth fighting for, and respect his other abilities, such as   his poetry and his role as a religious leader of the Ygg religion.

  I agree that he goes berserk, is violent, and is a psychopath. I agree   that he is smart (bears generally are and I doubt that anyone who is   dumb could really become a superhero), and that he likes his enemies to   fear him. How knowledgable is he about magic? I would say he is quite   familiar with the heroplane and knows how to break rules (hence his   conquest of the Polar Bear god). But I would bet he doesn't care one   bit about spirit, divine, or sorcerous magic and probably has little   respect for rituals other than in exploiting or raiding them (after all   he did break the Rathori rituals).

  How knowledgable is he about warfare? He's a powerful raider and can   strike when and where he will. With speed, strength, and surprise, I   suspect he can do alot without needing a lot of knowledge of formal   warfare. His background is as a Rathori hunter, Lunar dart assassin,   mercenary, and wolf pirate. I don't see him as someone who really knows   the art of war--and probably doesn't need to.

  I can see him saying some poetry even, though maybe this is inspired by   his best friend Gunda. However, I don't believe he is a religious

  leader of the Ygg religion. He doesn't hate it or seek to destroy it,   but this is a person of NO gods. I think somewhere he is even called a   'mercenary for the gods'. One of the reasons he is so truly terrifying   is that he has NO loyalty whatsoever. He can walk away from everything   in his past repeatedly including the Rathori, his own kingdom, his wolf   pirates, Argrath. The only exception seems to be Gunda and that is   based solely on the best friend rules of Dragon Pass.

  Basically, IMO, Harrek is a man driven solely by his own needs. What he   has gained in the past allows him to meet those needs without having to   do anything particularly complicated and without having to answer to any   rules.

  Harald