Re: The Tanelorn of RuneQuest

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 17:40:14 -0600

Loren Miller
>Is there a story structure that is recognizably Gloranthan, that
>conveys the mystery of the place, its loony California sense of
>humor, its cruelty and viciousness, and the love that infuses the
>place? How can we use that story structure in a roleplaying
>campaign? How do you tell that story? What story structure can
carry >this load?

        An insightful post. Here's a stab at it. Points that are good for a "typical" Gloranthan plot. (Note: I don't think all Gloranthan plots have or even should have all these points.)

  1. The bad guys aren't just "bad", but have motivations, often complex ones, which are generally unclear to the players at least at first. Even the KoW has grown to possess such motives, and broos and other chaos things have had them all along.
  2. The mythic nature of the world is taken into account. In other words, the Bad Guys aren't trying to break through the walls to loot the city, they're trying to break through the walls so they can urinate in the Well of Yinkin, thus sterilizing all shadow cats within sight of the city walls.
  3. Character motivations (for everyone) are as much religious and social as personal. Characters take action based on things besides logical analysis.
  4. The scenario normally involves travel by, to, or around a mystical place. At least so that the GM can point out a dragonewet plinth as you march by it on your way elsewhere.
  5. Multiple layers of truth and reality are intermixed. "Yes, this is the Forest of No Return, but it is also Aldrya's spleen." "Is he a troll? Sometimes."
  6. Even villains have their place in mythology and society. "The foul Lunars, servants of Chaos!"

Sandy