Jedi Mystics, Magic of Recluse

From: TimTorres_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:42:06 -0500

Sorry, but I forgot my best quote for "extinguishing" personality: "LET GO, Use the Force, Luke" (Ben Kenobi in Star Wars). And someone (I can't remember and already deleted the digest file) asked how to play a mystic. Nils' (I think) response had to do with Nature. Another option is to play your character as archetypically as possible depending on the character's philosophical leanings. All mystics are not "good guys." In fact, one of the "dangers" of mysticism as seen by orthodox RW Christianity is that they are moral relativists (something even worse than secular humanists). And there is definitiely a point in one's mystical development at which one is tempted by "the Dark Side of the Force." Another good example is the classical distinction between white magic, black magic, and village wise women who use some of each. The best literary example I've seen is LE Modesitt's The Magic of Recluse--Grey Magic straddling the fence to keep Order and Chaos from feeding on each other and making each other grow. (Sounds a little like Druids from The Other Game, but it's not).
 . . . Tim