Re: why can't Morocanth throw rocks?

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 12:21:40 -0600

Neil Smith
>Why can't morocanth throw rocks?

        The same reason that most animals can't throw rocks. They lack the mobility in their shoulder and wrist joints. Plus morocanth (like most animals) lack thumbs. A squirrel or raccoon also lacks thumbs, but it makes up for it by having prehensile paws (i.e., the toes can be curled inward). Two prehensile paws = 1 prehensile hand.

>Morocanth have the manual dexterity to make and use spears, and to
>tie herd men together, so I'd have thought they should be able to
>pick up and lob a stone.

        They do not have the manual dexterity to make spears, at least not human-quality ones. They can't chip stone, and they can't lash a stone head to a haft. They _can_ sharpen a stick and fire-harden it, but their better spears are all purchased from humans or made by trained herd-men.

        Also, they can't tie very complicated knots. Herd-men that are likely to escape are held by chains, which even morocanth can manage. Tight knots and lashings are done by herd-men.

>The only thing that will prevent them using thrown weapons
>effectively would then be the structure of their shoulder, not
their >lack of thumbs.

        Lacking a thumb is a nontrivial part of throwing. I double-dog dare you to pick up a spear-like object and throw it without using your thumb. How much range and accuracy did you get? Now try it with a hatchet? Hmm. Even a rock isn't as effective by far, and _your_ shoulder structure is far more mobile (though weaker) than a morocanth's. Not only that, but using your hand as a thumbless prehensile paw is _still_ more flexible than a morocanth's hoof.

>But even if their shoulders prevent them effictively throwing
>things,I'd have thought they could use slings.

        Spoken by a man who has never used a sling. I have, and you need LOTS of wrist action (morocanth wrist action is as circumscribed as their shoulders) plus you simply can't aim your pellet without a thumb. You have to release it at just the right time. Slipping the loop (note that slings don't have loops for the hand, by the way, but I guess morocanth could have them special-made) over your forefinger isn't going to cut it for a quick release.

The morocanth are handicapped hugely in doing things like humans do. That's why they _don't_. If the morocanth tried to compete directly with humans, they'd be wiped out in a generation. They must use their strengths vs. us, not their weaknesses. They make up for their weaknesses by using herd-men, and they use their strengths wisely.

Morocanth Strengths

	Tougher one-on-one than humans.
	Natural skin armor.
	Much faster than a human on foot.
	More maneuverable and quick to react than a mounted human.
	Keener senses.
	Nocturnal.
	Able to eat rougher food.

Sandy P.