Christian comparisons

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 19:07:57 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe writes:
If we are going to invoke 1st centry CE Christian comparsions, I like to think the more accurate parallel with Hrestol's Martyrdom is Paul's thesis that one didn't have to be clipped to enter the Kingdom of God (actually 'God's Imperial Rule' in the Greek) thus ensuring wildire conversions among the (male) gentility.

The only problem with this statement is that there weren't any "wildfire conversions" to Christianity. The best estimates seem to be that Christians were 5-10% at the most of the Empire's population at the time of Constantine's conversion some 250 years later. It was an active Christian Emperor followed by relatives who persecuted pagans that created "wildfire conversions." So if there is to be a parallel here, it must be secular leaders enforcing new religious views on the populace. (rather like the spread of Rokarism many centuries later.) Jim Chapin