Re: Hunting Cats

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 17:35:01 -0500

In V2 #296, David Dunham writes:

>It's difficult to explain why they don't keep dogs, however. The Riskland
>Campaign in Dorastor: Land of Doom makes reference to hunting alynxes, but
>dogs are far more common as hunters' assistants, and I'm not aware of any
>Earthly examples of cattle-herding cats

I had written a myth to explain cattle-herding cats, but it didn't quite work. Nick Brooke turned it on its head and made it a myth explaining why cats DON'T herd animals (and, by extension, why Orlanthi keep dogs for that purpose). Hunting alynxes, I believe, work like this: the hunter follows the alynx to keep the it from eating the whole kill (sort of like hawking, but with cats instead).