Are the Boristi chaotic?

From: Tschinke <tschinke_at_NORDWEST.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:19:25 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:

Gaves me some of his impressions on the Boristi:

>The Tapping of Chaos is a bit of a sideshow IMO. I think the
Squids^H^H^H^H^H^H Boristi have a much
>stronger connection with Chaos than merely Tapping it.

I some points I would agree with you. I think the Boristi have changed there views over the centuries. This church is now over 1000 years old. So they have to have change things and behaviour to fit in working society. I agree with your opinion that the Squids believe that man was once perfect but has been corrupted by Chaos. This is a nice idea. So, I can accept the idea the average Boristi goes to his Priest to be Shriven to get purified of his past sins of the year. But I disagree that then the priest have to form up a chaos being to but the bad stigma into this creature. IMO the boristi take through this more risks to fall to the chaotic side of Gbajis illumination (see conclusions in the end).
The Boristi are more like the lunars in accepting the illumination IMO. In your view the Boristi churchman have to get real chaotic creatures. If they would work all their times to form chaos creature and think they would get chaotic by themself. This would not work for over 1000 years of existence. The Boristi a mostly a real secret society with all their tombs, meeting with mask (like the kluklux clan), hiding in the shadows of the societies in other city states. If think they have changed their bussines over the years and got more like krasht in the meaning of a group of assasins. You can hire them or they see somebody who could be one of their enemies of old (a godlearner or a Nysalor riddler). The Boristi have to do things like asking riddles by themself. The Boristi are more hunter of Chaos IMO. But if you would do such a task in secret from generation to generation I would get more and more like the prey you are hunting. If the creature which you would like to catch has an evil behaviour and habbits, you have to know them. You have to be like your prey to understand it. I think the chaotic feature on the squids is more a psychilogical phenomenon. And remember they are illuminated, so the way to get real chaotic is not very far. The Boristi know this danger IMO. Therefore they have to set down percautions. They must know that it will be very easy to fall to the chaotic side of Gbajis illumination. But what is about this people how fall down in their view. It could be possible that this people got real chaotic, got real squids!! You have to hide them very fast in the catacombs of Borin. This are the people the borist let go out if there was a siege on the castle of Borin. They can not kill this people because they where fallen on their holy task. They where fallen for Borin, Borist and Malkion. This people are chaotic, but on the other side they are holy.
If you would think this over it will be make more sense, as to let the boristi work with chaos.
One thing you may not forget is that the other church are not very tolerant on their opinions on other churches. If your church got a stigma from year to year from generation to generation this could create such wonderful nonense you could not believe it. But the people do because their bishop the hoy has said that as a real fact. In the history of germany in the medivial ages are a lot of such stories where people where burnt by the inquisition because somebody has seen them when they have talked to a flower or a tree (I know a lot of people who talks to their plants in their rooms - all witches, I know it, I know it!!). I hope you will get what a would like to say. The squids have not to be real chaotic to be squids in the view of mostly everybody!! They are the bad guys in ralios. If something goes wrong the priest can say: "Look there are some squids here around. This makes Rokar angry and he let it rain for three weeks now. Find them, that we can give this evil people to the inquisition, that we will be purified by Rokar, our holy master!" After this you can see all this peasants runing around to find a squid. They will find one, it could be a man everybody dislike (like the miller in medivial times), somebody to whom everybody or only one owes a lot of money (like many of the jewish progroms has happened in the medivial times in Germany, Engalnd and France) or only a scapegoat like the 'Witch' or 'Idiot'.
I do not think the boristi are cahotic!!

Hope to get more comments on this topic. To get a good religios discussion in the Free Form Game Rise of Ralios.

Ingo Tschinke

The German RuneQuest-con is dated on the 24 to 27 may 1996 on castle 'Stahleck' near Bacharach (this is near Frankfurt) above the beautiful rhine river valley. It is a real medivial atmosphere. The Free Form Game 'Rise of Ralios' is taking place on castle Kustria. This Free Form is written by David Hall, Kevin Jacklin, Nich Brooke, Ingo Tschinke, Christian von Aster, joerg Baumgartner and David Dunham. We will have 80 - 100 players in the game.
But there is more. Our guest of honour David Hall, Shield push, Trollball, RQ tournements, workshops on much topics etc. You will like it. We will have this year a lot of people from foreign countries and you can be sure, that everybody can speak 'Tradetalk' (engish). We have 150 places and a good accomodation because castle Stahleck is a new renovated youth hostel (one of the best in whole Germany). Everybody who wants to be at the VII. RQ-Con on Castle Stahleck please writes to: Phillipp Kuckuck, Im kleinen Felde 7, D-30982 For more informations about the 'Rise of Ralios' writes to: Ingo Tschinke, Schevemoorer Landstr. 33, D-28325 Bremen; tschinke_at_nordwest.de.

Hope to see you all in Germany

ingo