Re: Krarsht

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 17:02:56 -0600

Martin attempts to defend his misportrayal of Pavic Krarsht as a gang o' broos. I think it will be enlightening to respond to this.

>(1). The local human population is small and filled with an
abundance of Uroxi
>and other chaos haters, hence the human Krarshti _must_ be illuminated.

        Why? Nothing forces a human worshiper of Krarsht to become chaotic. A worshiper might have a slight stink of chaos cling to them soon after a worship service, but this is unlikely to set a Storm Bull's ears ringing in a town filled with Lunars.

        Personally, I do not believe Krarsht was present in Pavis before the Lunar occupation. By now, though, I expect Krarsht has made contacts among the locals and is no longer a Lunar-only sect. No doubt it and Black Fang get along famously. (Or else are vicious rivals. Nothing in between.)

>(2). The Devils Playground has a Krarsht nest where most of
theoccupants are
>hdeously warped Broo. Plus much of Pavis is undertunnelled by them
so Gimgim
>used local resources. The local Krarshti spend much of their time
fighting off
>large bands of psychopathic axemen so their tactics are more
related to a SWAT
>team than the Jackal.

        The Devil's Playground (whence no human has returned alive) has a Krarsht nest in which there are mutant broo horrors, but this is NOT the same as the cult or sect of Krarsht. No doubt the Krarsht cult, when it arrived from Peloria, was thrilled to find this here, but I bet they're _still_ trying to make contact with the monster-broos in some sort of friendly way.

        The local Krarshti don't spend any of their time fighting off Storm Bulls because that is a losing tactic. Krarsht cannot survive by adopting the same ploys as its foes. It survives by being covert, by seeding the ranks of its foes with its agents, and by selective murder. Remember, _even_its_own_members_ are often unaware of just who they are worshiping and what cult they belong to!

        This doesn't mean that the Krarsht cult is oriented towards Jackal-type assassins. The cult is not an assassin cult, after all. The Jaws are sacred killers, true enough, but their task is very cult-oriented, and the Jaws themselves lose all semblance of a normal life. Most Jaws fake their own deaths, then retire to underground warrens, training eternally for their task of death, and slowly going quite mad.

Sandy P.