Illumination and Law

From: Tony V Likhite <selver_at_worldweb.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 96 03:20:09 -0500

Joerg Baumgartner asked:

> What is the relation between Illumination and Law in Glorantha?

I recall from CoT that Illuminates don't register on either a Storm Bull's Detect Chaos or a Krarshti's Detect Order skill. As far as Nysalor's secret is concerned, Law and Chaos seem to be opposites.

> I always understood that Law was not the exact opposite of Chaos. The
antithesis of Chaos is
> Creation, AFAIK.

I don't think Law and Chaos are directly associated with creation and destruction, but with the balance (or imbalance) between them. Law wants a perfect balance, so that entropy is constant. Chaos wants an imbalance, so that entropy increases. Uncontrolled creation is just as damaging as uncontrolled destruction (you want a few extra gods? No problem! We'll start with Smutch and Bryllo. . . ;)

Just my $0.02,