Re: Skills & Toughness

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 13:03:46 -0500

Peter M.
>Onslaught also appears to have a good chance of taking on most of
the >Horrors of Dorastor and winning (frex with his 'warhelm' being immune >to acid, he could headbutt the Giant Gorp that Eats Away Dorastor to >death!).

        Peter, you are obviously too nice to your PCs. If Onslaught were to try this in my campaign I would have three responses ready for him (which I would not necessarily reveal to him before he found out the sad truth).

  1. You say your helm is immune to acid? But it has never experienced acid of _this_ potency before. Guess what? (I might let it stop the first 40 points or something.)
  2. Headbutting won't hurt a gorp, remember? You have to kill it with magic. *dang*
  3. The gorp sends out a pseudopod to engulf Onslaught's whole body. All your hit locations except your head take 80 points of damage. Next round.

That said, in my own campaigns the characters are comparatively low-level. The two highest ranking individuals are currently a weak shaman and a wannabee Sword of Humakt (not yet achieved the lofty status, but his sword attack is up to 85).