Princess Anderida

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:16:06 +1000

G'day all,

Princess Anderida

Peter Metcalfe on Martin:

>Your standards of what passes for normal in
>Glorantha is amply illustrated by the remark that Onslaught's POW
>(of 20) is 'relatively low' compared to 'Anderidas' (who's he -
>another grossout?).

Princess Anderida is one of the Lunar Coders in Strangers in Prax. Like The Big O, her POW is 20, though unlike him this is her highest stat by far. However, what Martin is getting at is her *species maximum* POW, 28. This comes from the semi-divine nature of her bloodline; she's a direct great-great-great-grandaughter of the Red Emperor himself*. Such supramortal  status has its inimical side too though, as Anderida is highly susceptible to the phases of the Red Moon and during the dying phases appears weak, listless and pallid (she's also bald!). It's good MGF to make positive benefits like this also have unfortunate side effects!

*I was initially reluctant to have such a connection, but Greg thought it was cool and even suggested I make her a *daughter* of Big Red.

While she has an impressive battery of Lunar magic (as befits someone of her exceptional status in the Empire), she has no weapon skills, only two skills over 100% (Ceremony & Enchant), and is dedicated to resolving situations peacefully if possible. What's more, her allied spirit is a flightless, featherless pigeon.

Although it certainly wasn't my intention, you'll have to decide for yourself whether Anderida (or indeed the other Coders) are "gross-outs". Note that the scenario "One High Priest Too Many" always gives the PCs a means of escape or avoiding combat when they come into contact with the Coders.

Martin asks:
>Howard Fielding commented on the Onslaught stats as "power gaming" could you
>explain your view and what you define as power gaming?

There was an excellent, amusing article in an old Different Worlds or White Dwarf which depicted the four types of gamer and the characters they would play: the Power Gamer, the War Gamer, the Roleplayer and the Story Teller. I wish I could find it: if I could, I'd post the example of "The Power Gamer". Anyone else out there know what article I'm referring to?

Martin again:
>I'd really be interested in the process you used to create the Julan
>character, any chance of a description?

Julan is a lot like Belisarius, at least as Robert Graves depicts him in my favourite historical novel, "Count Belisarius".

By the way, Steve Langmead's illustration of Julan on p.3 is absolutely spot-on! Exactly as I visualised him!

Cheers

MOB