In the Mountains of Morokanth Madness

From: D M McNamara <D.M.McNamara_at_durham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:28:14 +0100 (BST)

  hello everyone, thanks for replying to my questions (and in such an amusing way too!!).
  Can i ask you all a question? You don't have to answer but i would be interested....
  If you had to choose one thing that said to you 'glorantha,' what would it be? I know glorantha is a complicated place, and it seems unfair to choose one thing...but the thing could be a language, a race, an object, a place, an idea, a god, an event, etc.....I don't necessarily expect deep and meaningful answers, just ones that scream 'glorantha!!' to you personally.

  here is mine....for some reason, the mighty MOROKANTH (don't laugh) has always been important to me. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because they resemble bipedal tapir, and only something as odd as that can happen in glorantha. Perhaps its the fact they live in good old prax, which although is a barren land is full of adventure and significance. Maybe its because they herd mindless men around like cattle, and have a good reason too!
maybe it is because they are sneaky fellows....i don't think they cheated! I seem to remember they are connected to the darkness rune too (why?). One of my fave illustrations in runequest is purcell's cover of the bestiary - the morokanth smoking the pipe and sharpening a sword - what an unusual sight!
  One of my fave bits of 'elder secrets' is the suggested encounter with the philosophical morokanth; we spent ages talking and arguing with it, and eventually it joined us and became orur friend - i think he converted us rather than the other way round! Sadly he died in a gorp ambush, but we returned what was left to his tribe, and raised a mound in honour of his wisdom (sadly my character, Bok the Sleeper, strained his arm muscles when he was helping to lug a sandstone block up the side of the mound!).   I cannot really explain the 'morokanth connection,' but i kind of liked the answers to my 'morokanths-why?' question ie. 'because they cheated' or 'they are the master race'.....it seemed to sum up their wacky and enigmatic nature, something that doesn't exist in 'OtherFantasyGame(tm).'   Dominic.