sea matters mostly

From: Durupt Jean <durupt_at_cc.ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:41 1997

 Hi all,

Joerg

The Closing

I don't have access to the RQ Companion, so I cannot quote it.

the only old one's fleet

It is possible that a gale happened while the ships were at sea. They did not dare to try to escape to the high seas (the closing was in effect), they could not escape anyway and they were wrecked on the coast.

The Closing's effect

I agree that sea creatures are immune, this includes the waertagi individual (they die when they are far from the sea, and they have an affinity with water).

What happens if a hawk try to fly over water? I think that many land birds don't try to fly over the sea. I'm not a biologist and I can be wrong.
I still think that a vrock hawk could fly toward the Three Step Islands and reach them. The typical hawk will tire and have to land before it has reached the islands, this means that it will drown.

Our main difference may come from what we call a debris I say that a debris is something that drifts at sea. I'll take a few example to make myself clear. A tree trunk is a debris, the same tree trunk with squirrels on it is still a debris because the beasts cannot direct their course. An intact human ship with noone aboard is a debris. An interesting case is described in a Jules Verne novel (two years of school holiday), where a ship full of students is drawn toward the high sea by a storm.
I'd say that she is a debris, because it was the sea who made her go to the high sea and not the crew.
I think that a boat carried by a ship is not subject to the curse.

The practical consequence is that waertagi ships are technically debris and thus not subject to the closing, they are carried by the sea and the currents.
The grounded waertagi ships may still float but are too damaged to surf on the currents. They may be repaired in a dry dock, but nothing short of another dragonship can tug them toward Sog.

About the three step islands and land birds Land birds can live on these islands, all it takes is a storm to catch them on the continent and to drop them near the islands.

Slowing
I use the term slowing because in my mind fords have a bottom (doom currents seem bottomless) and are on the surface, a slowing may be completely under the surface.

Ian Gorlick

Waertagi sorceror-priests

One solution is to use sorcery, we can have at least one sorcery using guy per fastship, since sorcery is easy to learn.

Tacking against the current

In the real world, it is possible that particles go against the current because they jump from whirlpool to whirlpool. With their mastery over the currents, the Waertagi can create whirlpools so that their ships can go against the current.

Sandy Petersen

Mermen travel

In my mind, only the Ouori land. For the other, it is too difficult to move while they are on the ground.
Even for the Ouori, a 100 m crawl (pun intented) is difficult. If they want to sleep, they may stay on the sea surface, floating on their back, but they are exposed to their predators (like the killer whales).
So I picture the mermen as having mobile homes. They are rigid, so that they can go underwater while filled with air. They have a flat bottom and a bottom opening where the merman can climb and roll inside. They have a shnorkel system so that stale air can be replaced by fresh air. They are drawn by tame sea creatures.

Fixed underwater cities are used by the water breathing Gnydrons and Sea Trolls. The trolls may be restricted to use caves since they are not very intelligent.
Fixed underwater dwelling might be used by air breathing mermen, but I lack ideas on how they transform stale air into fresh air.

With his mobile home, a merman can go from Genertela to Pamaltela. A human can go from Seshnela to Prax in a wagon, for example, but it is a long and danderous journey, like the merman's.

	Peace
		Jean