Re: Sandy's Prax

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 96 12:52:01 -0500

Chris Pearce

>[Sandy] said that Waha's magic made most two-legs smart and left
most four-legs >stupid. If everyone is stupid, then how can anyone cheat?

        You are reasoning in a too-civilized humanocentric fashion. Praxians live close to their beasts, and they know just how smart an animal can be. No one would argue that their beast is "stupid" -- well, at least not as a species -- certainly some bisons are dumber than others.

        Beasts are keenly sensitive to other creatures' emotions, reason logically, make choices, feel guilt, befriend other beasts, etc. Many parts of their existence are controlled by powerful instincts, but so are we -- we just mask our instinctual predelictions with the face of reason.

        To a Praxian, it's not ridiculous to suppose that the various animals all worked together with Waha nor that they are intelligent even today -- though only humans have the gift of speech, and our intelligence appears to be, in many ways, now superior to the beasts'.

        Of course, the sub-humans from outside Prax usually lack the gift of speech, though many have cobbled together some ramshackle gibberish in imitation of the Praxian tongue, and can even communicate with one another, after a fashion. A few such sub-humans, notably Issaries folk, have even learned to speak real language, and so are technically human -- at least as human as an awakened herdman.

>In traveling on foot through Prax, our group encountered a group of
>morokanth that outnumbered us six to four. <a duel ensued> I
suppose the >morokanth decided that we were therefore real people and let us be.
>I was always kind of shocked that the morokanth didn't shoot first
and ask >questions later. I always felt that the morokanth definition of "herd man" was >"any human unlucky enough to get captured by a morokanth."
>How would things have gone in Sandy's campaign?

        I don't know enough about the situation to evaluate what I'd have done. Certainly the morocanth in my campaign are intended to be frightening and brutal (though the PCs have not met any in actual play -- partly because I want to build up the morocanths' sinister aspect). I can easily envision a number of reasons why six morocanth wouldn't attack a group of 4 humans on sight, but instead challenge them to a duel first. Here ensue some:

  1. WE'RE TOO BUSY -- The morocanth were traveling, or hot on some business more important to them than capturing random humans met en route. Of course, they wouldn't pass up a chance to prove their toughness, and since the humans were willing to parley, a duel seemed like a good way to show off. Since the humans demonstrated their subservience by healing the injured morocanth, there was no need to rub their faces further into the dung.
  2. WE'RE TOO COWARDLY -- The morocanth were nervous about fighting 4 humans, when there were only 6 morocanth. Sure they outnumbered them, and were probably individually tougher, but think about it -- would a band of a half-dozen humans normally attack four shadow cats? Or in the real world would you and six buddies try to kill four coyotes or feral cats you saw in a vacant lot? Without a good reason? One or more of the morocanth might get hurt. Better to wait until there is overwhelming strength.
  3. WE'RE NOT SURE OF OURSELVES -- The morocanth wanted to fight, but weren't sure just how tough the humans were. So they thought that fighting a duel would be a good way to measure the human's fighting quality. Presumably if the human's blustering berserker was readily trounced, they'd then ambush the rest of the party, regardless of promises made earlier (after all -- Morocanth _cheat_), and take them captive. When the Storm Bull proved able to fight their best warrior to a standstill, and _then_ it turned out that the humans had a healer with them (a significant combat advantage), the morocanth saved face and chickened out at the same time -- killing two birds with one stone.
  4. WE'LL PROVE WE'RE PEOPLE -- the morocanth in the area are trying to make political points with nearby humans -- perhaps they have made a treaty with the local impala tribe in which they promised not to kidnap humans until the treaty is over. Or perhaps they are trying to prove their goodwill to someone (The Lunars? A Paps priestess? A Pavis ruler?)
  5. WE'RE TOO ISOLATED -- perhaps the morocanth didn't have their slave shackles with them, or they were several days' journey from their clan, and didn't want to be encumbered with new slaves for such a long trip.
  6. IT'S ALL A TRICK -- perhaps the morocanth want to lull the visiting humans into a feeling of safety ("Hey, these morocanth aren't so bad.") hoping that after a year or two the non-Praxian visitors to the area will become rather lax and trusting, _then_ the morocanth can organize a series of slaving strikes and get a real coup.

Someone (now I don't remember who) opined that he didn't think that the morocanth would normally turn a human's family members into herd men, just to blackmail him. It depends. The morocanth have more than one reason to turn folks into herd men. Sure, it takes a point of POW, but your typical morocanth generates at least that much in a year. When you consider that the total number of humans turned into herd men is far less than the total number of morocanth, it is no longer so unreasonable. Anyway, here follow some reasons to transform family into herd men.

  1. The slave is really valuable, and they can't or won't physically cripple him for some reason. A healer, for instance, would be very valuable, and well worth 3-4 POW to enslave forever. Or a scribe. Or redsmith.
  2. The herds need upgrading. A particularly fine specimen of a man or woman will often be used for stud or breeding mares. Such an individual suffers far less psychic stress and lives longer if he is turned into an animal first -- plus he doesn't try to escape any longer. Formerly real humans are almost invariably healthier and physically superior to a long-term herd man, who pass their peak in their early twenties. So true humans revitalize the stock -- without periodic influxes of new blood, the slave herds would have deteriorated into worthlessness long ago.
  3. Terrorism. It is hard to imagine a fate more fearsome to a typical Praxian than being transformed into a beast and taken by the morocanth. Since the morocanth do this on a fairly regular basis, and typically publicize the event (for instance, capturing a khan and his men, making the men watch the khan's transformation, then freeing them to spread the story), all Praxians know horror stories of the terrible fates awaiting such transformations (such as finding your wife's wedding jewelry in a piece of mock pork sold in Pavis). This fear has an effect on the Praxians -- sometimes a band of Praxians refrains from harming a band of morocanth out of fear of reprisals. this may not happen very often -- perhaps not even one time in ten. But it still has its effect, and from a strictly objective viewpoint, is probably better for overall morocanth survival than either killing or ransoming their prisoners.
  4. Cruelty. The morocanth are not an empathic and caring folk.

So ... do _all_ prisoners suffer seeing their family turned into herd beasts. No. Would I stay in line if this was _threatened_, let alone performed? You bet.

Sandy P.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #608