rhinos

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 9:36:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

        Sandy rebukes me WRT to rhinos and I agree with alot of what he says but:-

	Rhinos bred faster than herd men?
	I was under the impression that the gestation period for herd men
is 9 months. And that a female can give birth at least every 2 years. OK they start later (15 ish at a guess, but this is nutrition dependant), but even given that they can breed till 30 to 35 givig approximately 10 children or even more if you want to wear the herdwoman out.

        The above completely ignores the relationship between intelligence and later maturity. I suspect that born and bred herd men and women mature much earlier than humans but there is no evidence either way so I'll not push it.

        Making jerky out of a whole rhino... Well I guess its possible but it would be a mammoth (pun intended) undertaking for a single family. I would suspect that the whole sept is gathered to share the work and the benefits. The families would then take it in turns to provide animals. This would be far more efficient overall and provide yet another good reason why the sept system has been adopted.

        Finally, the article does not explain the numbers of Orlanth and other worshippers in the rhino tribe as detailed in Borderlands and CoP. I feel that there should be a logical reason why these cults are represented. After all, under the Pact of Waha they are basically irrelevant to the nomads way of life.

Cheers

        Lewis