Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #641

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:26:57 -0700

Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> What the [expletive deleted by the FCC] happens when a sapient entity
>>that is natively chaotic - ie broos etc. - is illuminated?

>I'm sure I have seen somewhere that the driving emotion of chaotic
>creatures is hatred - both of non-chaotic races and of their own chaotic
>state.

This was stated way back in Cults of Terror.

>their "ME! ME! ME!" cultural upbringing chaotic Illuminates seem to be
>more tempted to the Dark (Gbaji) side - Which explains why for every
>wild healer of the rockwoods their is a whoke handful of Storm Bull
>proof Ogres :-)

More likely, the lack of powers gained from the "light" side cause said chaotic illuminated to be killed ("Hey guys, we should be nice to people for a change."). Either that, or GMs and scenario writers have a thing for evil illuminates, and write them into the stories more often.

SimonPhipp_at_aol.com writes:

>>Actually, it is my belief that Glorantha is more like the real world than RQ
>players realize. We have
>> simply been tricked into assuming that Gloranthan myths accuratly describe
>>history and the cosmos. I think they are just myths.
>
>Aaargh!!!!!.
>Glorantha is special precisely because the myths happened. The world is made
>up of the body of Ga, the Air is the bodies of Storm Gods, these things
>actually happened. The gods are real in Glorantha because you can go and meet
>them.

No, that is one of several conflicting world views in Glorantha. Many heroes have "proven" their gods do exist, by meeting them on heroquests. But all this really proves is that heroquesters claim to percieve their myths when on quests.

No doubt, dwarvish exploration modules have also "proven" that the sun is a giant ball of burning gas, or something.

For me, Glorantha is still special, because it is a place where magic works, and myths have power.

>That is also why Alternate Earth never caught on - too sterile.

More likely, it never caught on, because of the incompetance of Avalon Hill. We're lucky that Glorantha has still survived.