Re: Spirits and alcohol...

From: RobStoll_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:08:37 -0400

Xavier wondered:

> I was wondering how alcohol was considered on glorantha...
> Is it good or evil? Is there any god related to alcohol?
> Do people think it is good or bad for the health?

I don't think alcohol is inherently one or the other. Certainly, there would be a culture by culture stance on it (with varying shades within each culture). I wouldn't expect Sun Domers to be particularly fond of alcohol, certainly not drunkeness. Perhaps they ferment a mild golden mead to sip on special occasions, but that would probably be the extent of it. Big city folk, like Pavisites, probably tip the wrist with varying degrees of moderation, or lack thereof. Pavis certainly boasts a number of drinking establishments. Of course, the more degenerate Lunar folk would also correspondingly drink more, as well as do hazia and who all knows what else. Trolls like beer (and many other forms of alcohol) by the keg, although I suspect that it takes a staggeringly large amount of liquor to get a troll drunk, if in fact they do get drunk. (Anyone know if Trolls get drunk, and how much it would take to get one drunk if they do? How many drinks would a drunk troll drink if a drunk troll did drink drink?)

> What I was thinking is that, since drunk people can't control
> themselves, they may be considered as possessed by a lesser
> spirit. ...

An interesting theory. I'm not sure I buy it however, the alcohol "spirit" departs while you sleep, and, depending on the strength of that spirit, leaving a wooziness "spirit" in the morning. Why would they leave on their own? Why aren't there Chalana Arroy "soberers?" Alcohol, to my knowledge, doesn't really cure any diseases, and in fact might open up your immune system for something else to come along (RW alcohol, anyway). For alcohol to excise disease spirits, it would have to be a pretty powerful spirit itself, which gets back to the question of why the effects of alcohol are neither permanent nor degenerative (i.e., it doesn't permanently lower stats).

> But I don't know if alcohol is used to clean wounds
> somewhere on Glorantha.

What a waste of good booze! Seriously, why would you want to use alcohol on wounds, when you're never far from someone with at least 1 or 2 points of Heal (I imagine that just about every family unit in Glorantha has at least one person in it capable of casting Heal 1 or 2. It's easy and cheap to learn, just about anyone can teach you, and it is much more quick and reliable than messing with bandages and splints, hoping that infection won't set in, and weeks or months of bedrest). You'd be better off letting the wounded drink some of the liquor, to ease their pain while you cast Heal on them.

robert