Moons

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:34:48 +0100

Pete Metcalfe:

>I disagree strongly. When Yelm walked the Oslir Valley, the Sun was
>still shining overhead in the centre of the World lighting up the
>whole of the Glorantha. The Red Goddess manifests herself in human
>form at the High Holy Day Ceremonies but the Moon does not disappear
>at the same time.

 I admit I was wrong about the Dara Happan view of Yelm; but the fundamental point is that there is no fundamental differnce between a god and a star. Many people think the stars are gods just like them. The point of the arguement is that because Arkat can appear in many forms so can the Moon goddess - that's all.

>By this reasoning there is no difference between a 1 point disruption and
>Cragspider's Pillar of Fire. It does make a difference and it matters
>heaps. Celestial Bodies require a lot more energy than merely summoning
>a different human manifestation down from the Planet.

 I never said the power was the same, or the difficulties involved were comparable. But what are the differences between Disrupt and Cragspider's Pillar of Flame? They both destroy things, one just does it in a larger scale.

David Cake:

>Nick Effingham - posts an interesting Black Moon myth - I like it. The Dara
>Happan concept of the Other is very troublesome, though.
> So, I'm not sure whether I go for it or not. It might be that the
>Black Moon is the moon during its time in Hell, rather than a separate
>being (and is has now risen, we just can't see it).

 Cheers. But don't talk about the Black Moon being just another phase of the White - me and Pete are still finishing the "debate" about Red and Blue ;)  As for The Other - the White Moon could defeat her Other because she knew the Secret. Without this knowledge you cannot defeat your Other. The Secret, BTW, is of course Illumination.

Joerg Baumgartner:

 I think that you can define the Moon by concepts, rather than simple physical properties. Any mysterous, enigmatic body can be linked with the Moon rune, and therefore can be considered a Moon. I think, however, very few celestial bodies end up being associated with such concepts.

Mark Smylie:

>As a final note, the continuing Moon discussion -- in particular a quick
>review of David Cake's Moon manifestations posting from a few Digests back --
>has made me wonder a bit whether there has ever been an Orlanthi Moon god or
>goddess. Assuming that the various Moon incarnations have been visible in
>the Theyalan world (and I see little reason to suggest they weren't), is
>there a body of Moon myth in Orlanthi tradition prior to the appearance of
>the Red Goddess -- perhaps previous myths about a conflict between Orlanth
>and a previous Moon incarnation?

 I think the Orlanthi believe that the red GOddess, or Shepelkirt is their name, was destroyed and dismembered in GodTime and ressurected by the 7M (one of which included a Priest of Gbaji). Maybe they believe that it was Orlanth who destroyed her back in the Godtime, but IMO they would have witnessed her destruction at the hand of Shargash and attributed it to the star Tolat (or something along those lines).

Nick E.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com

Britain is Dorastor without broo