Appearance of the Red Moon

From: Guy Hoyle <guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 02:23:21 -0400

My opinion of the phases of the Red Moon varies considerably from common wisdom. When one is outside the Glowline, the Red Moon is partially obscured by the horizon, though never entirely invisible; it is just a sliver off the top of the visible disk in Pamaltela, but in occupied Prax and Dragon Pass, its lower portion touches the horizon. Only when you cross the Glowline does it ascend into the Middle Sky. Phases would be the same no matter where you view the Red Moon.

I like this version because it removes the Red Moon from real-world astronomy and physics; it makes the Red Moon more creepy and magical, and imparts to it an illusionary aspect that is in keeping with the mystic nature of the Lunar Goddess.

| Guy G. Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org)                                    |
| "Science does NOT remove the terror of the GODS!" (J.R. "Bob" Dobbs)     |