Story stuff

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 06:51 MET DST

With everybody and his dog writing cool stories in Glorantha, I thought I'd join the fray and write about a character living in the area of my (currently sleeping) campaign.

Freca con Arthain was a character I played in a campaign with a different game system on a world I had created or put together from various existing detail informations. As thing turned out, I had made Freca a native of the city of Carse (Corrinis in the German translation we used at that time), and with a background which knitted him to some of the surrounding areas.

I have played Freca for several years. He is a scoundrel and sometimes quite unscrupulous, but at other times he was known to act very responsible.

That campaign ended when I switched my game (and most of my fellow referees') to RuneQuest, on another world I wrote up to fit the magic concept better. (It would have been hell to translate the characters, even though the earlier game was skill-based, too - the main problem being magic conversion for the magician characters).

Now, with my Gloranthan experiments in Heortland, I ended up with another incarnation of the city of Karse, with very much the same characters and layout as my old campaign used to have - I know that at Chaosium the supplement City of Carse was used for that city, and why re-invent the wheel?

I also have been toying with the idea of the urban culture of Kethaela as somewhat separate from that of the various Sixths, combining elements of these but being a distinctive culture in itself. Zero's Nochet definitely is no cultural part of Esrolia, nor is Karse in any way representative of rural Heortland.

Thus, I combined Martin Laurie's initiative to write Gloranthan stories with my desire to define that culture further, and started to write up the reminiscences of Freca in his Kethaelan incarnation. I will use the PC memory of certain adventures Freca went through, but I'll try to avoid a scenario retelling style.

Oh - and everybody go ahead and abuse Freca. He doesn't really enjoy it, but he has survived worse by the hands of his former referee.

I have titled the background stuff following "chapter zero", since it is different in style from the rest I am working on. Unless I hear a lot of "stop this crap", I'll continue to post. (I'll react to private mail, too, and am looking forward to getting constructive comments as well.)