The secret (mythic) life of bees

From: Robyn McNamara <froggy_at_zikzak.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 23:53:54 +1000 (EST)

Regarding Minlister and bees:

It is true that harvesting honey from (e.g.) wicker beehives is destructive. However, bees are mythically interesting creatures. In rural English folklore, for example, they were known to understand human speech, to predict the future, and to infallibly determine virginity - a pure maiden was assured of walking unharmed through a cloud of bees, but one who had sinned would be stung! On some special nights (Christmas eve?) someone who had made appropriate sacrifice could go down to the hive, and the bees would speak to them. (Source: Superstitions of the English Countryside, which I do not have handy right now)

Now I don't know about the other participants on this list, but I like to draw on rural folklore IMG. My games are usually set in country that is strongly reminiscent of mediaeval rural England, so it adds flavour. I don't think it's much of a stretch to allow Minlister initiates a spell, or knowledge of a ritual, that allows them to _ask_ the bees to move to another hive so that the honey may be harvested. Of course, the bees must first be placated, and they are capricious....

If you allow bee-swarms to be intelligent, I don't see the need to go to Gorakiki for control spells. After all, you don't need to sacrifice to Aldrya for Control Elf in order to deal with the wood-folk, do you?

Historically, there's been more mythic cachet associated with trades than with soldiers - especially trades such as smithing, brewing, and midwifery. There's something mystical about the act of creation. So I'd like to see plenty of restriction on devotees of Gustbran/Minlister et. al - such as lists of things-you-must-not-allow-near-your-vats in order for your spells to work. (And everyone knows that a menstruating woman in your forge will flaw all your castings.)

I prefer to GM tradesmen than farmers (yawn) or warriors (cliche'). It makes for more interesting gaming, with plenty of plot hooks. And it's lots of fun to surround PCs with geasa and then put temptation in their way. (Leads to genuine roleplaying, too - a great way to wean newcomers off AD&D-style combat orientation!)

One day, when I can play again (I am currently Heroquesting for a computer science degree while raising 1 1/2 children, which pretty much takes all my gaming time) I would very much like to play a Minlister initiate. Thanks to all who are contributing to this thread on behalf of all us lurkers. :)