Chieftains and Kings

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:42:00 -0400

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I'm still trying to catch up after my vacation.

I generally assume that a clan chief who is elected to be tribal king would step down as clan chief to reduce the possibility of conflict of interest. To consider modern parallels, how would the average American react to the idea of the Governor of California becoming the President of the USA without stepping down as Governor? The King has to sometimes make decisions that benefit the tribe but not one clan, the clan chief is generally expected to favour his clan over the tribe. Good government should result from the interaction between these conflicting interests. This can't happen if one person fills both roles.

Furthermore there is the question of doing all the work. Both jobs are demanding in terms of time and stress. Plus the person still has to keep their own stead and other affairs running smoothly. Can one person really do both jobs adequately? Consider also the ritual needs. There may be tribal rituals that require the participation of the king and the clan chiefs, how easily can one person act out both roles?

So mostly, I think that these jobs will be done by separate people. Certainly this is the tradition amongst the Cinsina as I have written them.

Now, there will be exceptions, we are talking about Orlanthi after all. There will be some individuals who are so respected that no-one would worry about them being in a conflict of interest, and they may be so able that no-one questions their ability to do both jobs. One could imagine a truly respected clan chief being acclaimed as king who insisted that he wouldn't take the job if it meant giving up his clan leadership, and the people might accept that if they really wanted him as king. This will be uncommon and would probably be remembered forever, "King Olaf who was also chief of the Halfari" is how such an individual would be remembered in the king lists.

Certain despots might insist upon holding all possible offices in their own person. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Harvar Ironfist called himself clan chief, tribal king, and Duke of Far Point all at the same time. (IMG, Harvar is worse hated than any Lunar.) The generally freedom-loving (read ungovernable) Orlanthi naturally resist such power concentration, so it doesn't occur often.