Tim Ellis/Cragspider

From: Karin Goihl / Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 20:52:36 +0100

Tim Ellis commented on my remark about Cragspider. Here is part of an exchange between Simon Phipp and I.

Simon sent this:

> Dragon Pass: "This region [Blue Moon Plateau] had never been planned by the
> Soul Arranger, who had been seduced away from his work by a masterful witch
> nymph later called Cragspider."
> "Even the dragons were not sure of her ancestry, for she lived in her
> mountain long before they were hatched."
> "A dragon, darker than its siblings, is also an ally of Cragspider, bound by
> favours she did it before the beginning of Time."
>
> Troll Pak: "That one was Cragspider, a dark troll who began in the spider
> cult and worked her way to deity."
>
> All a bit sketchy. Now, we hear somewhere else (I can't remember where) that
> Cragspider is an incarnation of Arachne Solara. We know she is the Firewitch
> and mistress of the Pillar of Fire.

I (Daniel) sent:

I thot I wrote this already but: WF 6 p.12, the full paragraph this time:   "Sometime during the Inhuman Occupation of Dragon Pass the dark troll later called Cragspider completed her impossible Hero Quest and received her apotheosis by and as Arachne Solara. Afterwards she was revered by trolls everywhere, and worshipped. Except when she was weak, at the early stages of the occupation, Cragspider did not take much part in the troll wars on either side, though she occasionally appears to give minor help to both troll nations, and to non-trolls as well."

Also check-out the Aranea write-up in Troll Cults in Troll Gods.

Simon again:

> Let's go back to the beginning. She could not be a normal Dark Troll if she
> was there when Larnste was sowing souls, because this probably happened
> before the Exodus to the surface. She also existed before the Dragons lived
> in Dragon Pass, although this was probably after the Larnste incident.

Daniel again:

I think that is all old stuff from WBaRM that Greg threw out when he wrote the clearer stuff in WF6 and Trollpak. In the old WBaRM days he still hadn't thot-out trolls.

Simon:

> She was a troll at the time of the Broken Council - the Broken Council
> Handbook only ever mentions her as a troll. Therefore she must have undergone
> the Ritual of Rebirth in the same way as Arkat, for instance. Somebody as
> powerful as Cragspider should have been reborn as Uzuz, a Mistress Race
> Troll, but was only reborn as a Dark Troll, why? I think it was because of
> her mastery over Fire which burnt the Darkness away enough for her to be
> reborn as Uzko.

Daniel:

The Broken Council book was written by others.

Getting reborn as a troll does not make you one of the troll races, and certainly not a mistress race one. The mistress race are to trolls as the original Mostali are to dwarfs.

New thot from Daniel:

Maybe we can say that any Cragspider-as-nymph references have to do with her during heroquests, and not during her "everyday" life as a troll.  There are things in old sources that don't fit in with the later RQ-era stuff. You can try to fit them as I've just suggested tho. It is one of the fun things for me to try to fit seemingly contradictory passages together.

More (or less) later. Daniel