legal matters, the Cradle, RQ, otter hsunchen

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:51:19 -0700

> Are the Big Rubble and Pavis packs officially out-of-print? As such, are
> the legally duplicatable?

Whether something is currently in print has nothing to do with its legal status. Copyright (i.e. ownership of intellectual property) exists even before a work is in print, and lasts past the death of the author. The works are still under copyright, and cannot legally (or ethically) be duplicated.

>I ask this because I just got Strangers in
> Prax, and there are numerous references to the cradle and to items in the
> Rubble which are only glossed over in River of Cradles. I find it
> maddening to see constant references to the Cradle scenario and to the
> replacement of Sor Eel, etc. without more information.

It would be reasonable for someone to summarize the answers to your specific questions, if you had some.

The Cradles scenario has the players making sure the first cradle in centuries, containing a giant baby, makes it to the sea. The Lunars are trying to stop it (and capture all the magical wealth aboard). One of the participants is Garrath Sharpsword, presumed to be Argrath. According to King of Sartar, Argrath's side wins (we won as player characters, a dozen years ago, too).

> non-human PC's in Glorantha
> are generally outcasts from their community, if they play with human
> PC's

True enough, but you can play an all-Troll game quite easily. And in most campaigns, the *humans* are outcasts from their community: they're adventurers.

> If I play it correctly, one cannot critically hit through Shield

It's by definition correct because you're the GM, but it's not by the rules. Critical hits get "past any armor or other protection the target has" [Players Book p.55] The Protection spell "acts in every way like normal armor."

Pam Carlson wrote

Jonas Schiott did in his East Wilds campaign, so I do too: the Udari. <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/hsunchen.html> They're one of the smaller groups now, but were probably much larger prehistorically (on some of Greg's out-of-date maps, there are large marshes in Ralios).