Pelorian Shamans and Yay Marion

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:24:00 -0700

Shamans vs Theists -

I think that many cultures in Glorantha have a rather mixed approach to shamanism and theistic worship. The extent to which they use shamans is merely a matter of scale. You have:

Praxians and Hsuncheon - shamanistic, but they also worship Waha, Telmor, etc.

Orlanthi - largely deistic, but they have their kolating. Even non-kolating often contact local spirits though theistc rituals (ie, "Bless crops", etc)

The Wendarians had lots of deities _and_ sang and danced to summon the spirits. The Suvarians/Darjiians worship SurElslib as an ancestral goddess, _and_ have their damuski.

Even Yelm worship has a very large ancestral component. I think much of Maniran and Pelorian religions have a shamanistic aspect. Or, at least they have individuals who specialize in dealing with spirits.

 I heartily agree with Marion's POV about unescessary realism in RPG's. Another reason that I never make a big deal about menstration for female PC's in Glorantha is that it simply isn't _that_ big a deal in real life. You get used to it. Remembering the house payment and dodging trucks on the freeway are much more significant monthly occurances!

Pam