It's a fantasy world ...

From: Paul2.Harmaty <Paul2.Harmaty_at_aig.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:13:32 -0400

Pam Carlson believes it is unfair to compare "our soft lives with those of wild animals".
Yet in her next point she correctly points out the "primitive people" would have an easier time with childbirth because of their harder lives/better physical condition.

Pam, I think we agree, in spite of the contentious tone of your posting. The point is that Sartarite/ Praxian women would be in MUCH better physical shape than your average woman today. They ARE primitive people. So why sweat the details of childbirth?

I yield to your wisdom regarding certain myths that describe painful childbirth. I argue that they are the great exception BECAUSE they are worthy of becoming myths.
. . .
My point was not to seek out a myth to justify pain in childbirth, it was to recall the basis of our ancient Earth's rational for it. This Earthly myth was the accepted truth at one time because it added mythic meaning to life. I argue that on Glorantha no such myth would "in truth" mean there was NO SUCH PAIN. Glorantha does not NEED a myth to explain why ALL women suffer during childbirth because they DON'T suffer great pain. Would that be too wonderful for a fantasy world?

IMHO too many people would rather invent countless spells/spirit bindings/etc. simply to add complexity and detail where none is required. Exactly the same as musing over Praxian TP. Give it a rest! Does it really make your characters less human because we don't know how they wipe their bottoms? Would our "character" women seem any less human because they experience only discomfort not pain when giving birth.

Again, have I missed something? Am I seeing this whole thing clearly?

Paul Harmaty