Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #211

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_gsidanet.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 11:04:48 EDT

> From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:02:45 +0800
> Subject: Shakers and Quakers
>
> Does anyone know anything about the Shakers/Quakers of the U.S.A.

The Quakers are a pacifistic sect whose closest Gloranthan analogs would probably be the White Moon sect, or the TN sect of the 7Mothers.

During the post-US Civil War period, they were one of the few groups who didn't try to rip off the Indians even after said Indians were confined to the Reservations, seemingly helpless. Their Indian schools were usually a lot less likely to try to "beat the savage out of" their charges. Religiously, they are run from Christian Deiists (sp?) to almost Agnostic.

Thus, they would tend to be Lunar missionaries, or alternately, pious and comparatively unbigotted Malkioni missionaries, working to "civilize" the native Orlanthi and Praxians. Unlike the usual lot, even the most extreme Frees would not attack them as targets of opportunity.

The Shakers are a Utopian sect that gave up sex, and lived in industrious, upright communities that tended to do quite well, financially. They are dying out (for obvious reasons), and there may not be any male Shakers, anymore, as the latest would-be converts came in after the last males had died, and so they did not receive "proper" initiation. As the Shakers are quite wealthy as a corporation, this has lead to some interesting law suits.

The closest Gloranthan analogs that I can think of would be the East Isles Renunciationists, who gave up magic, and, obviously, the Brithini.

> possibly elsewhere)? I have in mind for my PCs a journey to Wintertop via
> the Shaker's Temple and thought the possibilities could be enormous -

Alas, you will need to find another inspiration for the Tarsh Shakers. Voodoo or Santaria might be good, as they are survivals of old African rites in the New World, and might fit with the ancient Earth cults, esp. if there is a Shamanistic side to the Tarsh Shakers.