Colors in Glorantha

From: James Walter Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 12:59:42 -0400 (EDT)

A problem emerged in a PBeM RQ campaign recently, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions: to wit, what colors exist in Gloranthan cultures.

I'm assuming the same "physical" spectrum exists: the problem is, what colors are "identified." My ancient history is a little ragged, but I recall reading that the Greek/Roman spectrum wasn't ROYGBIV (they lacked Orange, I believe, but I might be wrong). Orange still "existed;" it just didn't have a name or identity as a color distinct from yellow & red.

So, when the GM had an NPC describe a wall painting, the question came up exactly what colors would that NPC have "seen." Red, yellow, black and white seem fairly secure... but the party Uz was curious if she could distinguish "shades" of Black, treated as "primary" colors... or might Lunars think of different shades of Red, but rather than being "shades" of Red, they're completely different colors (eg, as "Orange" is a mixture of Red & Yellow, but is a different color).

In any case, this raised a furor (do Elves have more Greens, Orlanthi more blues, etc). Has anyone addressed this in their own campaigns?

James Frusetta          	      gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu
Department of History                 University of Maryland, College Park