Yelmic cults

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:57:46 +1200

Pam Carlson:

>Yea! Yelmic questions!

Oh well. What the hell.

[Throws caution to the wind....]

>2) Have them also join other cults - such as Hastatus, Shargash,
>Antirius, Erissa, etc. This could also be mimiced with the pantheon
>initiation concept: a Yelmie is associate with all those other cults,
>anyway, so much of their magic becomes available to him.

I don't think this is a good solution for IMO the cults of Antirius, Hastatus and others are already part of the Yelmic progression just like High King Elf is part of the Aldrya Cult.

I've noticed that in comparing the aspects listed in the full writeup along with KoS and the Genertela Book, the picture is far from clear.

[Youth] Hunter, Hyalor (Grazer), Rider (Pentan), Wheatbringer

        (Agricultural), Harbringer (p34 Genertela Book)

[Warrior] Archer, Dastal (Grazer), Warrior (Pentan).

[Teacher] Fertility Bringer, Hawkmaster, Healer, Musician, Rider,

        Leader, Jardan (Grazer), Leader (Pentan).

[Leader] Emperor, Henird (Grazer), Chief (Pentan).

[Sage] Elder, Sage, Josad (Grazer), Elder (Pentan).

Quite a hodgepodge! Note however that some aspects appear more than once - namely the rider is the first station for most Pentans but is the _third_ station for civilized folk.

My suggestion is that each one of those aspects for the station is actually a seperate cult and that there are different traditions about what the sacred progression of life is. For instance for the people of Jillaro, they may revere the Rider as the Second Station whereas in Carantes, say, the Spearman is so honored. Or certain noble familes might insist that the third stage of Yelm is the Musician. Or if they are truly decadent, the fertility bringer!

Given this, we could add color by saying that Yelm the Rider is known as Vuranostum, Hyalor and Zatkuranits in various places and that Yelm the Musician is Hyraos. Alkoth probably has some aspect of Shargash in their warrior stage making Yelm look like Tonatiyu at times whereas Yuthuppa has a more contemplative Yelm Cult. Thus Antirius is IMO the god of the third station and not a seperate cult now.

But what of the Six Parts of Yelm? My guess is that Plentonius identified one of the major cults in each of the six regions (Darjiin, Naveria, Oslir River Valley, Zarkos, Rinliddi and Darsen) as being a part of Yelm to justify his benefactor's right to rule. Some of these were part of the local sun cult, others were not. They were never part of the same progression and all attempts to make them so have failed (including my own attempts, it must be said).