Uleria worshippers

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze <tconrad_at_orbital.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:30:51 +0100

Hi, again.
Thanks for the welcome, Pam.
I have looked at David Dunham's page and I think it's great stuff (I especially liked the DragonKill campaign).

> Have them haunted by deer spirits if they don't
use Peaceful Cut.

Great! I can hardly wait to see their reaction...

> Keep in mind that Glorantha is not the real world with magic; it is a magic world.

Very true. Gives a lot to think about.
I also thought about what you said concerning bastards, large families, secret pregnancies and so on, and that made me reconsider my view of a contraception spell. I still believe that some magical methods of contraception must exist in Glorantha, but I think you are right when you say that they are probably rituals, varying from cult to cult, and from region to region.
And Uleria worshippers are likely to have their own preferred method.

Because I still think that Uleria worshippers do need it. While I must admit that Ulerians may have many social roles (tending kids, maintaining peace and harmony, offering fertility with their Reproduce spell), they still have this pleasure-enhancing spell (I can't find the english name) and their special seduction skill (same problem...). Apple Lane, Sun County and River of Cradles all mention some "private meetings" with Uleria worshippers.
But don't misunderstand me; I don't see them as street prostitutes, but more like highly skilled courtesans, performing sex as some kind of holy ritual. IMO, they think their work is more spiritual than physical, that it is their duty to share the unique gift of love and pleasure with lonely souls.
Maybe like some "make love, not war" idealists, spreading the virtues of Harmony, Fertility, as well as communion and compassion. I even think that some well-known Uleria priestresses may have some political influence, due to their relations with city officials.

Yours, Thomas.

By the way, Seattle is a swell place. I have been there once. You can see killer whales from the shore.